Homesteading Forum banner

Stupid me

3K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  G. Seddon 
#1 ·
I have a month old calf that hasn't been acting right the last couple days. I gave him a shot of penicillin in the left hip. Almost immediately after he could not stand on his left rear leg. If he was standing still he was ok. As soon as he used that leg he went down. When I gave him the shot I felt the needle hit the bone and backed off some before injecting. Did I totally screw him up? I know when I used to get injections in my knees if the Doc hit the bone it really hurt. Hopefully it will pass in a day or two. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Why would you give antibiotics when you don't even know what the problem is? Does he have a fever? Is he off feed? Is he lethargic? Is he still with his mother?

I have no idea what the consequences of your injection location will be; I'd suggest you contact your vet and ask. I hope the calf will be okay.

I'd also suggest that you get a book on basic cattle care and read it; anything by Heather Smith Thomas will help you.

Here, read this:

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2011/September/CT2583.php

#4 ·
Had the same thing happen to me. Calf needed a shot, dairy farmer did it for me and then next thing I know the calf is falling down when she tries to walk. Gets up and is dragging that leg around. Scared the @#$^$ out of me. I thought I'd just screwed up my best heifer calf. That was a year or so ago. In fact, I forgot all about it until I read your post. If I remember right, she was back to normal the next day. I did leave her in a stall overnight by herself just to be safe.

I bet your calf will be fine by morning.

#9 ·
I guess I don't understand how you figured I don't know what is wrong with the calf and whether or not I consulted with a Vet. All I said was that he isn't right and what I gave him.
Okay then, what IS wrong with the calf?
Did you consult with a vet?
Foolish me -- I ASSumed you were inexperienced because, for starters, you gave this calf a shot in the hip and this location is never recommended anymore.

It's your calf -- do whatever you want. I'm done with this thread.

#10 ·
Okay then, what IS wrong with the calf?
Did you consult with a vet?
Foolish me -- I ASSumed you were inexperienced because, for starters, you gave this calf a shot in the hip and this location is never recommended anymore.

It's your calf -- do whatever you want. I'm done with this thread.
I've never heard of a vet recommending a shot in the hip either and I've been in the industry for a few decades.

#13 ·
..... As soon as he used that leg he went down. .......
He'll get over it.

Occasionally, the vaccine will get into a nerve or press against a nerve. As soon as the vaccine is absorbed, the problem stops.

For the rest of you readers, if you are beginning with livestock, give the shot so that the needle is pointing up. It's rare to get an abscess, but if the shot site develops an abscess, the hole from the needle is pointing downward and it will drain easier.

#14 ·
Why the witch hunt? Chester posted with an honest question about his calf and you guys are jumping all over him. What's up with that? It's his calf and he can do what he wants with it. At least he's taking care of it and cares enough to post his concerns. Why such attitude? Sheesh.

I didn't see any witch hunt but I did see a long standing and very helpful member prepared to offer some advice and in turn get told that their advice was unwelcome.

Certainly, an owner can do whatever they want to their animals but once in a while they can avoid a mistake or two and life is a lot better for the animal.

People are quick to mention that experienced people don't want to help newbies. Would you care to guess why?

#19 ·
I didn't see any witch hunt but I did see a long standing and very helpful member prepared to offer some advice and in turn get told that their advice was unwelcome.

Certainly, an owner can do whatever they want to their animals but once in a while they can avoid a mistake or two and life is a lot better for the animal.

People are quick to mention that experienced people don't want to help newbies. Would you care to guess why?
"People are quick to mention that experienced people don't want to help newbies. Would you care to guess why?"

Maybe if the experienced people would stay on topic things wouldn't go south as fast and the people asking questions would feel a little more open to asking their questions without wondering if they were going to be criticized by the people who have the knowledge to help them.

What I saw was a member asking a question about a reaction his calf had to a shot and the first person to respond didn't have anything helpful to say but seemed to criticize using an antibiotic on a calf instead. The OP wasn't asking if he should have given medicine to his calf, or if he should have called his vet. He wanted to know what might have gone wrong after giving an injection and a few posters didn't address that concern but chose to act as if they disapproved of him giving medicines to a calf or questioned whether he'd called the vet instead. That wasn't helpful at all. It was insulting.

#21 ·
The rear used to be the recommended area for injections. Lots of old school vets still use that location. I have asked several over the years not to on our animals and they gladly do. Large area of constantly working muscle. However they have found that the amount of meat damage was to great and that the neck (which is ground up anyways generally) was a far better area. Not to mention the amount of injuries when given at the wrong angle, depth, or location.
I have never personally done or seen what has been described by the OP but have heard of it. It's recommended to give multiple treatments of penicillin for treatment. Did he have anymore problems with his injections?
Do you draw back to check for blood when you give an injection? Wondering if some went where if shouldn't be.
Hope he's ok now. What did the vet say when you told him what happened?

#24 ·
And respond by going off topic. :facepalm: People go 'offtopic' all the time, it's called the course of conversation.
Oh, sorry...the snow is messing with my computer today. Let's go off topic some more...

The OP asked a question that was not answered by some of the experienced responders. That's the part that bugs me when people don't answer a question directly but instead, shift off topic to another topic they chose and then answer their own "off topic" subject. Clearly a conversation will move to another course but one could hope that the original question would be addressed first, right?

This is enough thread drift for me...how about you? :soap: I'm off the soapbox now.

#25 ·
Well. I can tell you that you.may have the either/or option with a calf. Not always the case when they get some size. Try processing hundreds in a crowded chute where some ring a ding has ran their head under another's belly. Ya just might pick that huge muscle close to you. But babies are babies. It hurt. Might or might not have hit a nerve. We might do better discussing technique for shots and when to split doses.

#26 ·
"People are quick to mention that experienced people don't want to help newbies. Would you care to guess why?"

Maybe if the experienced people would stay on topic things wouldn't go south as fast and the people asking questions would feel a little more open to asking their questions without wondering if they were going to be criticized by the people who have the knowledge to help them.

What I saw was a member asking a question about a reaction his calf had to a shot and the first person to respond didn't have anything helpful to say but seemed to criticize using an antibiotic on a calf instead. The OP wasn't asking if he should have given medicine to his calf, or if he should have called his vet. He wanted to know what might have gone wrong after giving an injection and a few posters didn't address that concern but chose to act as if they disapproved of him giving medicines to a calf or questioned whether he'd called the vet instead. That wasn't helpful at all. It was insulting.
Interestingly enough, some of us experienced hands ask a few questions for a reason. The question as I read it, led me to believe that the member was assessing a few things which would have generated a thoughtful answer that would have been beneficial to many.

Questions relating to calling a vet and what kinda ailment might have led to the suggesting a hip shot or clarifying something that might have been misunderstood and realistically, none of us claim to be more skilled than a vet so it's way better to ask if a vet has been consulted rather than offering conflicting advice.

After being taken to task, I'm sure you can understand why a highly respected member with a great deal of bovine experience join a couple other highly respected members and refrain from asking questions or offering helpful advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.