Stupid Goat Questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by RockyRooster, Jun 20, 2006.

1. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member

Okay, I awhile ago I posted a new thread on goats. But wasn't really ready to get into it. Sorry.

Now, after reading and researching, I have decided to get Nubian goats.

Here is my question, and I feel it's stupid, but I need help:

If I buy two Nubian does (kids at first), will they produce milk without being pregnant?

When is the best time to buy? I am finding that most kids are already sold this time of year. Am having a difficult time locating sellers this time of year for kids.

That is it for now.

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Your goats will not give milk until after they have produced kids. As with other animals, they begin to lactate to supply their babies, but kindly have extra for us. :)

A good time to buy goats is when you find a nice pair. Keep your eyes open. If you are looking for kids, you are correct that most kids are born, and probably sold, in spring. Not all, though, and especially not with Nubians. My girls have kidded every season. (Or course, I'm in the South; don't know where you are.)

mary

3. RockyRooster

I am in Virginia.

Okay, so after they give birth, they give milk for how long? 9 months? and then they dry up?

So, the next milking time will be when they freshen again?

thank you for replying.

4. desertoasisfarm

desertoasisfarm Active Member

The last time my kinder freshened (2nd) she milked for 2 years. Just kidded 2 weeks ago and hope she does as well this time! Also have a mixed doe that milked about 20 months. Don't know what the average is.

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

what i found is that you CAN milk SOME does for a REALLY long time, but most will go up to a year give or take, and actually this is the best choice for the animal and re breed her, also some does you can milk up untill a few weeks of kidding on their next freshiening but not all, and milking them too long before they kid is not great on them eather, best to breed them back after a year to 18-20 months and then stop milking part way through the pregnancy and alow them to dry up before the new pregnancy gets too far underway so that she can use all the nutrients to build the new baby(s)

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Most does will not produce milk without having kids first. Ocaisionally you may get a "precocious" milker....but its unusual and you shouldn't plan on it. So you'll need to locate a buck for your girls.
    The best time to buy kids would probably be in the early spring. I sold lots of kids earlier this year, but am pretty much sold out now. I sell mine as bottle babies, so they sell very young.
    We freshen our does out in the spring(between Feb. and May usually), milk them, breed them back in the fall(August through December actually), and dry them off about two months before they are due to freshen again.

7. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Depending on how much you want to travel or pay for shipping, you probably will have to wait until the fall for eary breeders or next spring and have a deal worked out with a local person before kidding season. My nubies were the first to go this year. Still have a couple of toggs and 2 alpines left and thats it. Haven't been in any hurry to sell them they are easy keepers.

jr05

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Waiting to find the perfect goats will give you time to build fence. :)

The local conservation lady told us yesterday that she gave up on goats because they have helicopters. She built every kind of fence there was and her goats still managed to get out. Must have helicopters. :baby04:

9. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

You may want to consider one fresh and one dry goat. That's how I started. That way I had milk right away, and built on that.

Of course, goats are addictive and starting with 2 does in the Spring of 2004, I now have 28.

Ruth

10. RockyRooster

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Lord please keep me in check so my husband won't divorce me. LOL.

Yep, that is what I was thinking too. That is what I did with my first chickens. Studied, researched until I had everything in my head of what to do, what to get, etc. So when I finally ordered the chicks everything went wonderful and smooth. So, with that said I will use this year to get ready, study, research and by next spring, or before actually put that deposit down for two doe kids, and one buck kid. I love the Nubians. That for sure I have made up my mind too. Thanks all for the info, probably will be back for more soon. LOL. :nerd:

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to just get the does and hold off on getting a buck. The buck will be ready to breed much sooner than the does, and you'll have a time keeping them separate.
    mary

12. RockyRooster

:bash: Well, after many hours of learning to milk, de-bud, trim hoofs, etc. and etc. I have decided not to get goats.

Why? Well, I thought and thought about it and I finally came to the conclusion that I don't have the time. Work full time 45 hrs wk plus 10 hours wk commute.

So, then I ask myself - Why do I want goats? My answer was because I want to make cheese, goat soap, goat lotion. Don't want the milk to drink.

Then I ask myself - Well, instead of purchasing goats and all the work that goes with them, why not just go and buy the milk from local goat farmer?"

Then I said to self - "What the heck, why didn't I think of that before?"

Then I slapped self and went on merry way. :bash:

13. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Although that actually may make sense, it is kinda sad :Bawling: I live in a world of nonsense and chaos :baby04: and couldn't be happier :)

14. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

I think it's WONDERFUL..

How many times have we heard someone say "Oh, just run out and get a few goats..they don't need anything.." people who don't do as this gal did just willy nilly buy goats and THEN they find out that goats DO need a bunch of "somethings" after all in the way of care and feeding..and either they now have livestock that they have no time for or the goats just don't get the proper care at all..that stinks all the way around.

For someone to do a bit of research first and decide that goats aren't for them is a GOOD thing..now she can be an informed person when she runs into one of those folks who say "I'm thinking about getting a few goats..they don't need much care at all." God bless her !! :)

15. RockyRooster

LOL. Don't think I don't want goats, I do. :Bawling:
    But to have to milk them 2 times a day, every day is something that I just dont have time for. The evening milking wouldnt be so bad, but the morning? no way. I do all I can to get up, put on hose, heels, suit, makeup, purse, grab a cup of coffee and out the door I go.

I could see it now. Me hollering towards the barn "Hey Daisy girl, hole 'em udders tight for me til i gets home this evening." Nope.

It won't be long, I hope, that once again I will be back at home fulltime. Then I will get goats.

16. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

It's a matter of making up your mind to do it. I get up, have coffee, watch the news, go out feed and milk, strain and cool the milk, take a shower, get dressed, go to work.....work....work.....work.....go home, change, feed, milk, strain and cool the milk, eat dinner, breath...relax....go to bed.

It can be tough, but I love it. If anything ever has to go, it'll be the job.

Ruth

17. RockyRooster

How do you do it? That just amazes me. I am 51 years old, how old are you? Could this be the reason? Please give me a good excuze why you can and I cant. And if the bottom line is really that I just dont want to ,or I could do it. Then so be it. LOL. Because I think that is the reason why really.

18. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Totally not pushing you one way or 'tother......just a thought. Many people milk their goats once a day. As long as you don't go back and forth on it, that works fine. So you could milk, say only in the evenings. :)

19. RockyRooster

Really? I did not know that. Hmmmmm...................... :nerd: