Stupid car

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Shygal, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Hi everyone

Lately Ive noticed when I first get into the car in the morning (its been cold here) that the button I have to push to get the shift to shift (automatic) won't push in until I play with it numerous times, push the brake pedal down HARD, etc. It only seems to happen first thing in the morning when the car is cold.

Is something going? Is something freezing up somewhere?

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

maybe you need a stronger finger?
    sorry I dunno.. lol

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Make, model, year?

4. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I guess this is after starting the engine when you are moving from 'P' to 'D'? Perhaps if you move to 'N' prior to starting it might be easier. I am thinking that in the cold weather the engine idles faster when cold, plus the oil in the trans is cold and thicker, and this is making it difficult to release the 'P' trans lock.

5. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

1993 Subaru Legacy

and I cant move to N , I cant move it out of P unless the button decides to push in.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with nor do I have any books on Subarus but here is my advice. There are 2 ways that shift interlocks work, some are mechanical with a cable and some are electrical with an electric solenoid. Sometimes there is a way to override the system and it should be explained in your owners manual.
    With the car warmed up and the button working properly step on the brake and listen for a clicking sound near your shifter, this is the interlock working. Follow the sound and try to uncover the mechanism and lube it with WD-40. Generally everything in a console stops working from all of the dirt, lifesavers, change, and soft drinks that find their way in there.

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the additional info, helps to get a full picture......

On our Grand Am, the entire shifter had to be replaced. It was built differently, & rather cheap - so it seems GM had some issues & handled the part that way. It would only have gotten worse, it had to do with that interlock not unlocking itself....

No idea if Subaru would have the same type of problem.

--->Paul