Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I see what ya all think?

So, bought some turkeys and chickens around April. We had them keeling over here and there from what we think was the gnats. We had one turkey survive. It is your standard white turkey from the farm supply store.

The strange thing is that this thing is still smaller than my laying hens. Might be 4lbs wet.

So what do you think stunted it so? Do you think it will ever get bigger?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thought I see what ya all think?

So, bought some turkeys and chickens around April. We had them keeling over here and there from what we think was the gnats. We had one turkey survive. It is your standard white turkey from the farm supply store.

The strange thing is that this thing is still smaller than my laying hens. Might be 4lbs wet.

So what do you think stunted it so? Do you think it will ever get bigger?
What are/were you feeding them? Turkeys need a lot more protein when they're growing than chickens.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wait... What??

You have a 20 week or so BBW that's 4 lbs?

Seems impossible really, are you positive it's a turkey?

I'm really not trying to be rude, just wondering. Any chance it's a chicken of some kind, even a midget white should weigh more than that at that age.

Could you post a pick? That would help.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
My first group of turkeys years ago turned out to be 3 toms who butchered out at 25 to 27 pounds, and one little hen who was only 10 pounds butchered. When I cleaned her, turned out she had a heart defect, and although she lived, ate and acted well, her heart was very enlarged and soft.
Of course I don't know what actually happened with your turkey, but it might be something similar.
Kit

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yep sometimes w/ turkeys there is a runt. I have 1 in each batch of 60 this year... sometimes the bigger birds just kill them off too. last year I had a BBW end up at like 8lbs in the oven.... yep heart defect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts