stumpgrinding

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordson major, Jan 1, 2005.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

is it better to stump grind in the spring or can you gind them during the winter? was looking at getting a self propelled unit to grind off some stumps beside the lane that we cut the trees under the hydro line.seem that we have more time now than spring!

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We just did some winter grinding and it was a better result than the summer grind. I think the main reason was with the ground solid the stumps didn't move in the slightest thus the cutters did a much better and quicker cut. In summer if the ground softened the stump seemed to “bounce” away from the cutters (hope I described that OK).

We used a rental unit from united rentals, carbide cutters, spun by a 25hp gas Kohler

3. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

funny this thread comes up today--rented a grinder Thursday (got it for the entire weekend for 1 day price!) ground 9 stumps in 3 hours-

I would also recommend when the ground is frozen.

**do not forget safety goggles and no one off to the sides!**

4. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

I build a fire on top of the stump and keep it fed for a few days
    till it burns down to the desired level. No more pertruding stump
    just a nice level spot. Give it a go. Be sure round bales are not
    close by. A sudden quest of wind could ruin your day. My $.02
    Paul

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

thanks for the replys. normaly we would just burn out the stumps but the area is right beside a spruce forest on one side and a cedar forest on the other side. the fire dept. frowns on burning this close to flamable trees and the fact that the over head wires and poles could be ruined rules out fire.not enough room for a dozer or shovel .have to remove the stumps as the area gets grazed by a elderly pony who does not seewell.