Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started building my next paddock and it turns out theres a massive stump that is going to be too close to the fence line. I started digging it up but its going to take too long and its gotta weigh close to 1000 lbs and theres no way I can get a truck back there. So, I need to offset the fence line to go around it. How far should I go to make sure my goats wont try to jump the fence and hurt themselves?

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,873 Posts
Can you cut it down to ground level or burn it out? I would give the stump minimum of 6ft clearance but 10 would be better. The stump will be a fun place to play for the goats. If you can’t give enough clearance I would try and burn it out.

·
Premium Member
41,725 Posts
I had a stump to close to my garage. Drilled a half Inch diameter hole down thru the center of it, filled it with black powder and set it off with a battery operated rocket igniter from hobby lobby. It did the digging for me! Was able to cut the roots off below ground level with chainsaw, roll the stump out, refill the hole, problem solved.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a stump to close to my garage. Drilled a half Inch diameter hole down thru the center of it, filled it with black powder and set it off with a battery operated rocket igniter from hobby lobby. It did the digging for me! Was able to cut the roots off below ground level with chainsaw, roll the stump out, refill the hole, problem solved.
Black powder works good , I’ve used it on really big stumps 40” around .
I lite off a 10” long 2” pvc pipe full with a canon fuse .
It ripped the stump in 5 big chunks with 10” roots still attached in the ground.
I was in a residential area , o boy the cops where storming all over the place .
I burred the stump under a big pile of dirt and no one was the wiser

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you cut it down to ground level or burn it out? I would give the stump minimum of 6ft clearance but 10 would be better. The stump will be a fun place to play for the goats. If you can’t give enough clearance I would try and burn it out.
Its in the middle of the woods and far from water so I dont like the idea of burning it. And my chainsaw broke. And, its 20 feet feet from a terminal post so offsetting it 10 feet would really mess with my cross fencing layout. Guess I'll have to keep at it with the old axe.

·
Premium Member
41,725 Posts
Its in the middle of the woods and far from water so I dont like the idea of burning it. And my chainsaw broke. And, its 20 feet feet from a terminal post so offsetting it 10 feet would really mess with my cross fencing layout. Guess I'll have to keep at it with the old axe.
The axe works. I’d fix the chainsaw for two reasons, it’s much easier faster than an axe, and you might find its handy to have around the homestead. I’d also consider using black powder. It’s easy and cheap!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Well, the first thing you need to do is fix the chainsaw. Then cut the stump off at ground level. Then tell the goats they are not allowed to play on the stump.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no fixing that chainsaw it never felt safe to use to begin with and I dont have the money right now for a proper one. Looks like I'll have to axe it down as close to the ground as I can manage. What a task that will be.

·
Registered
390 Posts
A axe is a young manes game .
I split a cord of wood last year and the pinky on my right hand has never been the same

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Why not just make the fence a foot or so higher near the stump?

·
Registered
10,618 Posts
A axe is a young manes game .
I split a cord of wood last year and the pinky on my right hand has never been the same
I was riding along a trail checking my poly wire lines when I came across a yellow pine that had fallen across the path. I was a good distance from my chainsaws in the barn, but I did have my shiny new axe in the utility bed. How bad can an 11" softwood be to cut and push out of the way, eh?
Well, unlike Youtube and the Outdoor/HGTV channel, there would have been quite a few commercial breaks before I cut thru it, and the sponsors would have been Tylenol, Dones Pills and Ben Gay.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
^^ Makes you appreciate the task the pioneers had in clearing land for crops. Can you imagine doing that to 40 ac of dense woods?

Like building the Pyramids, they could only have done it if they had the help of space aliens-- no other logical explanation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ Makes you appreciate the task the pioneers had in clearing land for crops. Can you imagine doing that to 40 ac of dense woods?

Like building the Pyramids, they could only have done it if they had the help of space aliens-- no other logical explanation.
Sure does. I had a week to get my first paddock in the middle of the woods done. I finished it in exactly one week. Sunk my posts down 30" in hard clay. After I finished I was down for the count for a week and a half. Thinking about what it would be like if I had to get this farm operational in time for first harvest is daunting.

·
Registered
10,618 Posts
That is sort of why kids didn't go to school much, wives didn't work outside of the home and families were more than in name only.
Five kids, mom, granny and grandpa would have knocked that paddock out before lunch and then on the scalding and scraping hogs.
Well, lunch wasn't a thing then, so supper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts