stumbled upon cordwood buildings

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Nov 8, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

DH and I went for a ride to check out some land for DD.
    Up north, close to the Chewamegon(sp) Forest, We happened to come across a place, with a couple small cordwood buildings.

It was the homestead of the SAME family that was featured in "Countryside" a few years ago--------they held a couple workshops for people wanting to learn more about cordwood buildings.

The place is for sale..........
    'Had a short, pleasant visit with the folks.

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Okay I just gotta know....why are they selling? Did they not like living in a cordwood house?

3. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Where is it? I'll be in the Cable, Hayward, Clam Lake area next week. I'm guessing its not far from there.

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

The house ia actually a new modular home.
    One cordwood building is a small cabin with a loft and the other is a well house.

The place is near Gilman, WI-------if you really think you might check it out, I can give you more detailed directions.

They are selling because they bought a fixer-upper in town and intend to more there-----he is pastoring a church now.
    Don't know what the bottom line reason is----maybe financial,,,maybe to be closer to his flock....maybe ??????????

5. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Thanks....but I'll pass. I never knew the Chequamegon National Forest went that far south.

I learned something today. I always thought the Chequamegon was strictly in NW Wisconsin.

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a neighbor build one a few years back. They had big problems due to expansion and contraction. The chinking kept falling out. They ended up rebuilding conventionally.

7. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

There is a guy with decades of experience who has a website now. He has pinpointed the problem with expansion and contraction to being the type of wood used. He has a newbie page that is interesting and you can ask questions about the cordwood method much like the threads here.

To find the website (I don't have it with me at the moment), the fastest way is to go to: www.minifarmhomestead.com then click on Message Board. Scroll down to the Building Section concerning cabins, etc., and click on that. Look for the thread on Cordwood Building. There are three links in the thread to look at...one of them is to a Yahoo Groups. That's the one I'm talking about. The others are good too for basic information.

Be aware that Cordwood Guy is going blind so he uses all caps so he can see what he is writing. The website was started by him to share his experience in building with cordwood. He's not saying that he's the only one who can do it, but it is his board. Okay? Enjoy!

TXlightningbug :yeeha:

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Try a search for DayCreek Journal...Alan has several years worth of cordwood info here and keeps you very entertained while educating you.