Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently cleaning out my chicken coop and filled up a few 5-gallon buckets with straw as much as I could and set them to the side. When I was done cleaning up I noticed a bunch of my chickens was laying in the 5-gallon buckets and when I picked up they had laid eggs. I thought this was a great discovery as it is a very cheap nesting box idea. I have left two buckets inside the coop for a few days now and my chickens refuse to use their wooden nesting boxes after their new discovery.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Good idea! Now I know what I can do with all the excess 5-gal buckets I've got hanging around with nothing else to do. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
Can not load a pic but for years I been screwing the bottom of 5 gallon buckets against the wall and using about 1/3rd of the lid snapped on the front to keep the straw in. I also use Many modified milk crates. I think I had got 238 nesting boxes in my 67 pens. Works Great.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,068 Posts
My son had a bucket in his garage on the shelf. One of the bantam hens claimed it.
It was full of nails. Made no difference to her :)

I have bantams they like to set up their nests in what they think are hard to find
spots. They don't want the human stealing their eggs.
Buckets are a big attraction to hens.

I keep a few regular nest boxes on the floors, mainly for my duck hens. Give them
some sawdust, a handful of fresh hay in those boxes every day, and they get real happy.

Ryan, can you post a full pic of that polish bird ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used milk crates with great success..... they're often free or very cheap
I was thinking about contacting my old high school and seeing if they had any to sell or giveaway. I have seen many people using that idea.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son had a bucket in his garage on the shelf. One of the bantam hens claimed it.
It was full of nails. Made no difference to her :)

I have bantams they like to set up their nests in what they think are hard to find
spots. They don't want the human stealing their eggs.
Buckets are a big attraction to hens.

I keep a few regular nest boxes on the floors, mainly for my duck hens. Give them
some sawdust, a handful of fresh hay in those boxes every day, and they get real happy.

Ryan, can you post a full pic of that polish bird ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty color pattern on that bird :)

Do you have other polish ?
I only have the one rooster. I am hatching some eggs so hopefully, I will get another one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts