Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need a terrific stuffing/dressing recipe for Thanksgiving. I tried one that looked good in a magazine yesterday and it is really yucky! To the point, we are feeding it to the turkeys. My dad's comment was, well isn't that where stuffing is supposed to go?!:doh:

So I am hoping that one of the amazing cooks on here would be willing to share their perfect recipe with me - that is all of us.

Please and thank you!

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
We make one with breakfast sausage and usual ingredients, celery, sage, onion, wh, wheat bread...it's really good.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
I have one that I start with Stove-Top and chicken broth.
To that I add dried cranberries, toasted pecans and walnuts, celery and assorted herbs.

I s'pose if you really want, you can start from scratch with your dressing, but I like the boxed version just as well. ;)

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,295 Posts
Cornbread Dressing
from the kitchen of Chef Paul Prudhomme
Makes about 12 cups

ingredients

1 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, in all
3 bay leaves
3 cups finely chopped onions
2 cups finely chopped green bell peppers
1 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic

2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tso onion powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp Tabasco

2 lbs duck or chicken giblets or thigh meat, ground
8 cups roughly crumbled Cornbread (see recipe below)
how to prepare

Process the eggs and milk together in a blender at medium speed until fully combined, about 20 seconds. Set aside.

In a 5-quart pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter together with the bay leaves. Add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are beginning to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers, celery, garlic, seasonings and tabasco. Cook, stirring and scraping frequently, until the onions are beginning to brown and the celery and bell peppers are faded in color, about 4 minutes. Add the giblets or thigh meat. Stir until the giblets are fully cooked, but not browned, and the seasoning has a rich flavor, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and remove from the heat. Stir well until butter is melted. Remove bay leaves.

Put the crumbled cornbread in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the milk/egg mixture, then fold in the vegetable mixture until evenly mixed.

Spoon into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My family always served bread stuffing.

I toast a loaf of the cheapest sandwich bread in the oven (it just makes it quicker). I break that into chunks. I cut up an onion and some celery, saute that in butter until soft. Pour in about 1 1/2 cups (or so) of water or chicken broth and some poultry seasoning. Pour this mixture over the bread chunks, mix until moistened and stuff your bird.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
This is the easiest way to make it. If you don't have frozen cornbread odds and ends, then make a batch, and you can put some bread from an older loaf on a cookie sheet and let it dry a bit and use it too.

I save all the leftover cornbread during the year in the freezer, along with bread heels and odd pieces.
Just thaw and tear up the bread in smallish pieces, add garlic, sage, salt pepper, chopped celery and onion, chicken or turkey broth till moist and bake.
You can add boiled eggs if you want to that, but I don't really care for boiled eggs in it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I cheat a little -- the Pepperidge Farms stuffing mix (herb seasoned is the one I use)
has been a family favorite for years. Of course I add chopped hard cooked eggs, broth, chopped giblets, celery and onion. But the basic mix is seasoned nicely and has become a staple as well as a time saver for a busy Thanksgiving morning.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My recipe is a lot like mamajohnsons recipe. I make a batch of cornbread the night before. I crumble it and at least a half of loaf of white bread in the food processor until it is very fine. I then add some chopped onion and celery and garlic, some poultry seasoning and sage and enough chicken broth to make it sticky but hold together. I sometimes add hard boiled eggs. I taste as I go to make sure it is "sagey" enough. Then put it in a pan and bake it in the oven until it is brown on top. It is sooooo good. This is the way my grannie and my mom have made dressing for years. Good luck.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Here's how I make mine:

In a large pan saute:

1 cube butter (or margine)
1 whole bunch celery--chopped
1 lg. onion--chopped

Add:
1 loaf (good quality) whole grain bread (cut in cubes)
1 can chicken broth
Salt & Pepper--to taste
Crushed Sage--to taste (I'd say about 1 Tbsp. or so)

Mix with a spoon and then your hands. Add more chicken broth, if needed.

This is a simple dressing--but always very good. I always stuff my turkey with dressing, and have plenty left over to make a side dish of it.

I sometimes add a few grated carrots, which makes it really moist.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My family always served bread stuffing.

I toast a loaf of the cheapest sandwich bread in the oven (it just makes it quicker). I break that into chunks. I cut up an onion and some celery, saute that in butter until soft. Pour in about 1 1/2 cups (or so) of water or chicken broth and some poultry seasoning. Pour this mixture over the bread chunks, mix until moistened and stuff your bird.
Don't skip the sauteing step, that really brings out the flavor of the onion and celery. Really, I think that this is just about the best recipe there is. Also, stale hot dog or hamburger buns make great bread stuffing.

·
Super Moderator
16,908 Posts
Thyme.

The difference between the taste of stuffing and the taste of bread is thyme.

You can add your favorite veggies, and anything you like, but, you MUST have thyme!

·
Super Moderator
16,908 Posts
Terri- hmm I will keep that in mind. The recipe I had the other day called for thyme, but I only had ground so maybe that was one of the problems.
I have used ground thyme also, with good results.

It might just have been a bad recipe, like when a cooking show convinced my sister to put orange juice in the mashed potatos instead of milk. NOT! a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts