Stuff you learn to late.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by comfortablynumb, Sep 23, 2004.

1. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

This one kinda burns my butt.
    I painted everything around here with a wagner airless sprayer, cost me 120 bucks. it uses a quart at a time or very poorly sucks paint out of the can. this works but both ways a re a pain.
    my other options was more money for a sparayer that sits on a 5 gal bucket and really does work..Ive used those. or a pressureized tank sprayer which also works but these are bulky and expensive.

so i'm in lowes, i spot an air gun for cleaning engine parts... it has a suction tube for solvents ect.. it says it sprays paint too. "pish.. its only 20 bucks its a dinky little air gun cant be..."

so tonight i took it out to clean some grasy parts...
    it is USELESS.
    so on a whim I stuck the tube in a can of old housepaint I was very slowly painting the fences with...
    now... there is poetry in motion. its quiet.. its clean... it actually works. even the tip adjusts to spray light or heavy.
    I was so overjoyed at this thing I painted 30 feet of fence and finished the house.
    now its not a gun to paint a car with, but to lay latex paint down on old wood and fences and yer house (my house anyway, old barn wood) this thing is unbelievably wonderful.
    to clean it just suck soapy water thu it, no ripping it apart scrubbing all the bits of springs and valves... aint none!

I painted a whole house with that noisy messy heavy wagner contraption and there was this cheap 20 buck thing...

I looked for a tool like this I was told by evceryone "dont exsist"

I did have an air gun with a suction hose but that type didnt work like this... its made differently.
    I looked and I cant find a link to it anywhere, even on lowes site, but go find part# campbell hausfeld IFT232 in the air tool section...

anyone wanna buy a wagner power painter.. cheap?

~~~~
    lesson two;
    as I crawled out from under the other house retrieving the old gas line, I stood up and caught my ear on a jagged piece of tin on the wood stoves chimney support. ya know how you "notch" a pigs ear? :eek:
    this pifs ear has a 1/2 inch notch cut in it. my earlobe to be exact... like you too a razor , stuck the tip in a high peaircing and the pushed...
    yes... it hurts.. even down my arm I dunno why.
    I found out too late the chimney was in my way.
    ~~~~~
    what have you found out lately that you found out a bit to late to be really usefull?

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I found out I can take most of my back seat out and maybe even put it back in without anyone even knowing I ever took it out in the first place. :yeeha:

I also found out, if you pester a company enough, they'll honor that 20% off coupon they sent you.

I also found out, if you tell the people at the little store down the road that you're a cheapskate, it will take approximately 39 hours for word to get around to everyone in a 25 mile radius that you're a cheapskate. If, however, there's speculation about your lovelife, word will get around about that speculation in approximately 2 3/4 hours.

3. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

That if I tell my wife she can quit her day job as soon as she has a better plan. "She Did" See wife gone mad post. :p

That the $0.79 cent fiber brush at Big lots IS the same as the $5.79 Gun brush I bought at the Gun Show. :waa:

Finally that No matter how long you wait Paint won't get out of the can and onto the deck. I.E. the 3 year old can I found today under the porch. :eek:

Kenneth in NC

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

That the glasses that you paid 175.00$ for is the same prescription in the glasses that are at the "Everything's a Dollar" store for --you guessed it $1.00!

That if you work 88 hrs one week-- that you will feel guilty the next (if you work less hrs.) because your check is soooo much smaller!

If you want something done-- do it yourself and it'll get done..

5. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I learned a 35 pound tom turkey won't fit in a 5 gallon bucket to scald the feathers. :rolleyes:

I learned that men who talk all the time drive me nuts. :rolleyes:

I know I learned something else I'm sure but can't remember it anymore. :no:

6. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I learned that staining a house is lots of unending work. I'm helping hubby by working on it while he's at work and kids in school. The only good thing is the satisfaction of knowing it will be done eventually and that it will last 7 years or more.

brural

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I learned that a motivated ram lamb can squeeze through a surprisingly small gap in a fence... and once out is not in any way motivated to go back in.

I learned that the husband's idea of "inexpensive" is not my idea by a long shot.

I learned that chicks blowing down do not belong in the same room as a computer (the pin feathers short out the motherboard).

8. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

I learned, too late, that
    --even if you've met very intelligent electricians
    --even if you'd like to give him a chance to prove what he can do
    --even if you've given him scaled and color-coded plans of what you want
    --even if it makes you look like a bossy, uptight female sticking her nose into "men's work"
    it's still safer to assume that the electrician you've hired is incapable of problem solving and should be carefully monitored through the entire process.

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I learned that:

* men I think are weird usually are (I may also be paranoid, but that's another thread!)

* if I don't remove the storm precautions after the first hurricane, I won't be panicking when the next 3 come within a month. Some times procrastinators win!

* a freezer full of gallon jugs of water makes me happier than a year's worth of food when there is no power for weeks at a time. Canning is less risky.

10. Reynard Ridge

Reynard Ridge Active Member

I learned too late that when you buy a Hesston haybine (dealer 2 hours north) and a John Deere bailer (dealer 2 hours south) that you should have your head examined.

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I learned that pigs can tear apart almost any kind of enclose it took me 3 days to build. The next one is gonna be concrete block!

12. deberosa

Oh yeah! I learned that too! I even put sticky labels everywhere I wanted outlets. Problem was I didn't tell him not to dig a two foot wide trench for the wire across my driveway and then fill it loosely with a shovel only that would become a mud pool come rainy season that I would fall into up to my you know what. :haha:

13. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

That is was going to be a COOL summer in Kentucky. Hubby & I finially got our 12 x 3 swimming pool complete with screen-house around it. $222.00 dollars for the pool & screenhouse, PLUS $50.00 for the water-man to deliver 2K gallons of water, & it's been way too cold to swim! Never did warm up at all enough. We went "swimming" maybe 4 times. We took it down yesterday, and boxed it up for next year. :waa:

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I recently was reminded that when re-filling a hottub, you must close the drain spigots.

That training your dog when it is young pays off big time. And listening to them when they try to complain about something is important, even if you think they are smelling the wind. GET UP AND CHECK.

That being nice to others when it is difficult to be, is when it is most appreciated and reaps the most return.

That good deeds are enough in and of themselves.

That even though you think you want to be a hermit, other people will constantly surprise you in a good way.

15. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

buying a Truck for $2800 from the local "shady" dealership will cost you Double in a few months.

16. Jenco

Jenco Well-Known Member

I've learned...

When digging post holes for a fence with a 2 person auger, there is no reverse "option" when it gets stuck.

When you've got 3 dogs that you allow to live inside with you, you must vacuum/sweep every day.

That the more projects you take on, the longer the existing ones take to finish! (but I guess that's kinda obvious... :eek: )

17. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Three things I leaned this summer... :eek:

1. Twist nails really do work better than screws, even if hammering is harder than using the cordless screwdriver.
    2. Never lay a piece of fence down in an out-of-the-way spot, planning to come back for it "later". It is almost impossible to pick it up when weeds have grown 2-3' tall up through it.
    3. Never lay a metal Tpost down anyplace, planning to come back for it "later". It's scary when you hit it with the lawnmover.

18. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

2. Never lay a piece of fence down in an out-of-the-way spot, planning to come back for it "later". It is almost impossible to pick it up when weeds have grown 2-3' tall up through it.

All I got to say is Thank goodness for Propane weed Tourches!

19. deberosa

Yep, I get the fence thing - my new place has complete fencerows buried for many years, plus complete bedsprings with trees growing through them! I would tie them to the bumper of the truck and take off!

Lost a few T posts myself. ;-)

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

but even if the fire dept says it's "a wet enough to burn day" these can lead to a field fire