Stuff We Don't Use or Don't Need

Discussion in 'Country Singletree' started by MoonRiver, May 12, 2018.

1. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

I'm working on getting house ready to sell. This morning, without planning to do so, I started cleaning out laundry room and kitchen of things I should sell at a yard sale. In about an hour, I had 2 tables completely covered plus big stuff on the floor to get rid off, and that's only 2 rooms.

From canning supplies (I never started canning) to yogurt making jars (which I used a few ties) to wine making equipment (I have more wine than I can drink in a lifetime), it is amazing how much stuff we have just taking up space. Some is just older stuff that still works, but I'd rather get a dollar for it and not have to move it or even just throw away.

I came up with a good business idea for someone. Run yard sales for people. I would gladly give someone 50% of take to handle the yard sale for me. Probably not a huge amount of money, but figured on a per hour basis it would be pretty good. Plus they would get 1st shot at buying the good stuff.

2. DKWunlimited

DKWunlimited A year full of blessings Supporter

Around here there are many companies that will do that. I bet there is someone in your area. Ask around.

On a side note, on our cleaning binge a few weeks ago we decided to clean under the kitchen sink (Had not been done in 5 years) apparently that is where old flower vases go to die because I had 32 flower shop vases under there.

3. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Stuff we don't use or need? Almost everything.
    Americans have so fallen into materialism it should be obvious just looking at the modern homes with 3+ garages, storage rental units now as dense as McDonalds and Walmarts, car lots at every corner, etc.

Only other thing I might mention for families preparing to move is to be sensitive to your spouse when determining what goes out to the curb. It is just as easy for me to throw out piles of shoes and purses I cannot ever remember my wife using as it is for her to bag and trash my shop full of tools and gadgets sitting under a veil of sawdust. Ease into that pool don't jump.

4. SpringCrkAromas

SpringCrkAromas Well-Known Member

Here we have auction houses. Take a load of stuff to them, they auction it off and charge you 30% of the sale.

COSunflower and RichNC like this.
  5. dmm1976

dmm1976 Well-Known Member

Lots of thrift/antique places do consignments...there are plenty of online services too. Craigslist, FB groups, those new apps like letgo...

roadless likes this.
  6. MoonRiver

The thing is it quickly gets into how much time and effort is it worth to sell the item?

If it is over $50, then I try Craigslist. Under it either goes into trash or yard sale. But then is it worth all the effort of a yard sale to make $100-$200? It might actually be better to load up the van and take to Goodwill.

Take something like an electric knife or a set of kitchen canisters. Not much value in them even though they are still usable. When you are competing with Walmart, you have to price things so low it's not worth the effort.

COSunflower, nehimama and RichNC like this.
  7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

There are already companies that do that by auctioning off unwanted items.
    Or you can take them to consignment stores.

8. tiffanysgallery

tiffanysgallery Well-Known Member Supporter

If one set's stuff out at the curb it goes quick.
    Facebook's Buy Sell and Trade is popular.
    This week I sold two new rolls of barb wire for $10 ea. on CL, sold within the hour.
    When I get a truck load of stuff I go to the local flea market. The buyers help unload, so they can have first pick. By afternoon, I put everything left into boxes and mark them fifty cents. After that, whatever doesn't sell, I give away to one of the regular sellers. The only thing I take home, at the end of the day, is a wad of cash and pockets full of change. :)
    I tried having yard sales, but I live too far out of town.

9. DKWunlimited

DKWunlimited A year full of blessings Supporter

This time of year many kids groups ( boy scouts, church youth groups etc) have yard sales to raise money for going to camp. They will usually come pick up for free to run through their sale.

COSunflower, RichNC and nehimama like this.
  10. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Gkad I don't have anything extra like that LOL.

11. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

I don't do garage sales. When I get ready to get rid of stuff I take it to People Helping People, a second hand shop. I just give it to them. I have bought stuff at Goodwill and garage sales that was just what I needed.

It is just when I get ready to get rid of stuff, I like it gone, not boxes every where and leftovers.

COSunflower likes this.
  12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

During my flea marketing era while I had my produce and store grade stands , I often would go with some friends to evaluate potential yard sales we got advance notice of and if it looked like potentially good second hand /almost antique range, we would make a offer of a few hundred dollars at most for the whole load.

If the owner accepted, we paid them and truck and car trailer loaded the merchandise to take to the sorting building to divide among our second hand flea market stand, the load to go to auction for other flea marketeers and a load to go to the consignment store one of the guy's wife ran.

COSunflower likes this.
  13. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

You're all welcome to stop by my place on Memorial Day weekend. I'm having a yard full of free stuff for anyone who wants it. It'll be there until gone, or until the next trash day. There's a pretty big flea market about five miles from here; on Monday the flea marketeers make the rounds of the countryside looking at stuff to pick up and take to their stalls. Scrappers, too, looking for metals.

geo

COSunflower and DKWunlimited like this.
  14. MoonRiver

I've decided no yard sale. Too much work for a chance at making a couple hundred dollars at best. I'll focus on selling the bigger dollar items through Craigslist and facebook. Should be a better use of my time.

COSunflower, vickinell and RichNC like this.
  15. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

When we moved from TN to MN, I totally decluttered. The farm equipment and livestock we auctioned off, but things in the house went to goodwill, to friends that wanted them, and even to daughter-in-laws. I was shocked at the stuff found in my closet that I that I haven’t worn for decades (like the purple mini-skirt from the late 80’s! Yep Purple!). When I got done de-junking, it was AWESOME. I felt lighter all the way around.

COSunflower, vickinell and RichNC like this.
  16. alida

alida Well-Known Member

When I downsized a number of years ago I had my first, and last yard sale. I paid for a ad in our local paper under the "yard sale" heading, and it worked beautifully. Cars were lined up and down the street and I cleared about $300. Everything that was left over went to the Salvation Army. Two weeks later I'd be hard pressed to tell you what I sold.

Now I'm decluttering again, just because there is stuff I haven't looked at in at least 10 years. However a yard sale isn't a option and It's tricky going the craigslist route where I live (safety). Easier for me is to put stuff in our condo recycling room bit by bit. It almost always vanishes within the hour and that suits me fine.

I also had some "stuff" from my mothers estate, and now a uncles, plus paperwork for both that I'm obliged to maintain as executor. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep all the memories "stuff" from both forever, but for now I'm not prepared to discard any of it. I have done a mountain of shredding though, of my own and their paperwork (who needs a tax return from 1995?), or 10 year old phone bills?. However I did find and plan to keep a "master" account book my mother started in 1959, the year she and my dad married. Every year she noted highlight purchases, anything from first bike for Alida, to new roof after windstorm. She kept the book until 2014 when she passed away. It's a snapshot of our family history and priceless in my eyes.

17. elevenpoint

elevenpoint Well-Known Member

I don't have junk clutter or anything around
    You wont find anything on my farm
    I get a track Bobcat about every two years and dig a deep pit
    All goes in it...metal trash anything
    Go through barn once a month and out it goes
    Can't stand trash clutter disorganized or anything like that

COSunflower likes this.
  18. coolrunnin

coolrunnin Well-Known Member

I hope you get caught, that just an awful thing to do.

catsboy and RichNC like this.
  19. elevenpoint

elevenpoint Well-Known Member

Do you have trash service?
    That's awful
    Mine is burnt to nothing
    Caught by who?
    Thanks for todays laugh

20. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s been a while since I wore a purple mini skirt

hiddensprings likes this.