Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
the total demise of circuit city in the USA. that is kinda sad.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow. I'd heard rumours but nothing that was totally confirmed. Sucks. I used to really like circuit city... at least in part cause it was always slightly less chaotic than best buy!!

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I feel bad for the thousands of employees who will be out of a job. For the company, not so much. I liked them as competition for Best Buy, but they built way too many huge stores too quickly and overextended themselves. Same with Staples, Office Max, Home Depot and Lowes, and several other chains. And now that the economy has tanked, these places a full of expensive inventory that few can afford to buy.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
It is going to be that way for quite some time... hwere you have two major players.. Ie ) Circuit City and Best Buy..one will fail thus helping to stave off Bk for the other... We will emerge out of this Depression/Repression/Deflationar period with I think half the brand names.. Half the stores..half the choice.. then watch out inflation.

·
Gimme a YAAAAY!
5,327 Posts
Wal*Mart does not own Lowe's... unless it's a recent development.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
It is going to be that way for quite some time... hwere you have two major players.. Ie ) Circuit City and Best Buy..one will fail thus helping to stave off Bk for the other... We will emerge out of this Depression/Repression/Deflationar period with I think half the brand names.. Half the stores..half the choice.. then watch out inflation.
This is what I'm afraid of happening. Hopefully the anti-trust laws will kick in prohibiting price gouging due to a new found monopoly for those that remain.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
we might be a while away from this, at less for any discretionary spending like big screen tv's. first, as circuit city is closed down, their inventory will be sold cheap, which will undercut best buy prices. And then those stores will be sitting empty, looking for tenants, so potential new competitors can emerge with lower lease costs than the big players that signed multi-year leases.

Once read of a shopping mall owner during the S&L crisis. Altho he was prudent, one of his competitor's wasn't. The competitor went bankrupt, and that shopping mall sold for pennies on the dollar, allowing the new owner to rent space at 1/4 to 1/3 the price the prudent mall owner had to pay for his mortgage. So of course the prudent mall owner when bankrupt as all his tenants moved to the cheaper mall. That's the problem with a bubble, the economy is so unbalanced that there's no where to run, no where to hide, and everyone gets screwed. (Except the people that are politically connected and get bailouts of one sort or another.)

--sgl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always thought lowes was owned by Wally World too since anywhere a new walmart pops up a new lowes pops up right beside it.
Walmart (and other big box stores), make deals with complimentary chains to open stores near their own stores.

When properly planned and executed, these deals work to bring in extra traffic to all parties involved (and sometimes reduced rent, when they make some sort of package deal with a realtor).

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Walmart (and other big box stores), make deals with complimentary chains to open stores near their own stores.
I read that many years ago, McDonald's was famed throughout the industry for having a top-notch real-estate division that did extensive analysis of market size, trends, traffic, etc, before siting a new store, which was part of their success. Burger King didn't. All Burger King did was put a new store right next to every McDonald's that opened. Saved a bunch of money not having to do all that analysis. :D

--sgl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts