Study: $90 wine tastes better than the same wine at $10

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ladycat, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Not surprising in todays world. Better to just raise the price and skip making a better product. Go Boone's Farm. Somelier - another bottle of Chateau Apple Dapple si vous plait.

3. Scrounger

Scrounger Well-Known Member

To my wife and I, it don't matter how much it costs, if it's not a sweet, fruity wine, it's garbage. About the only one we buy is Manechehevits (sp). Cheap, sweet, and deffinately NOT dry. I also make my own.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Boones Farm is as high as I will go. Now it's $2.59 at the Super Mkt. and is much better than that vinegar tasting dry stuff.

5. Shinsan

Shinsan Keeping the Dream Alive

Think it works the opposite way with us: We are probably influenced by the fact that because we are not spending a lot of money, our little grey cells are much happier.

6. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

This IS interesting. The cost goes up and people enjoy it more. They derive more satisfaction from a product that costs more... Stretch this concept.

So many people are unhappy today and we've never lived in a more prosperous time. Everything comes easy to the average American. They derive a false sense of pride from products with inflated prices because they believe the higher price means that they're better. Better than the other guy or even just better than they were before. It says something about human nature.

We, homesteaders, make many of the things our suburban counterparts buy. We love our handmade things because they cost us. They don't cost our cash money, but they do cost us time. Time learning a skill and then time to utilize the skill making the product. Our homemade wares cost us. They do. And we love them for it. For example, two years ago I made my first pair of crocheted mittens. One is slightly larger than the other and they're both just a tad too small :) But I love them. I feel so good when I go out to feed the goats in my mittens. I'm extra careful to NOT lose them. Because they cost me... And I like them.

Just musing,

:) RedTartan

7. ladycat

The first thing the article made me think of was marketing! Marketing is all about making people think they can't live without something they never heard of before. Marketing directly or indirectly makes people competitive about how much stuff they have. And the more expensive that stuff is, the "better".

It's interesting how perceived value stimulates the pleasure center of the brain. That's why marketing works.

8. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

I'll stick to the two bucks Chuck's from Trader Joe, even wine snobs agree it's good.

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Boones Farm? No no no. That won't do. For the connoisseur of fine wines there is no substitute for Cisco. Yes that exquisite product from your friends at the Canandaigua Wine Company. Cisco is the King of all fine wines.

Oh Cisco...my misspent youth. A 750ml bottle of Cisco Red or BlackCherry and the proverbial shenanigans were bound to ensue.

Paul Mason may "Sell No Wine Before Its Time" but Cisco, "Takes You by Surprise". Or they did until the Federal Government made them stop using the phrase "Takes You by Surprise" on their bottles and advertising. Fine wine connoisseurs know in there hearts that Cisco does, and always will, Take You By Surprise.

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The wine that I buy comes in a box.

11. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I think the results just underlie the basic way humans fool themselves with their expectations.....thus, why the placebo effect is so prevalent especially in the supplement and alt medicine realm.......I know dozens of people who fly high and marvelous results with the latest and greatest claims about whatever is in vogue today only to have the blush of success fade over a short period of time....of course the search continues and another regime is initiated....and so on and so forth..

recent articles about fibromyalgia and the question of is it a disease of the body or the mind.....the way patients jump from one drug to another suggests in more in the mind than anything else.....some fascinating reading on this has just been published as new drugs to treat this queationable disease have been approved.....many doctors fear a flush of new presciptions for these drugs as patients succumb to advertising and demand the drug (and the associated side effects) for something that is not likely to bring any lasting relief.. ..in reading the clinical trial reports and data the trials report pretty good success but don't follow the patients beyond the honeymoon phase when the drug(s) stop working (or maybe they were never working before)....

...the smoking cessation drug discussed on here a bit ago (cymbalta) suffers the same problems.....

I am always amazed by what people can convince themselves is true.......and boxed wine is dangerous stuff because you can't see how much all those little smigeons 'you've' tasted add up too......

12. kens

kens Well-Known Member

It does'nt matter to me if its high or low I can just smell the cork and start heaving.(drunk a half gallon of mad dog in 83 and still can't even stand to smell the stuff good or bad) :rolleyes:

13. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

All my wine comes in buckets. Spends 3 to 6 months months in them before I can tranfer it to bottles.

14. sgl42

sgl42 Well-Known Member

so all the comments on other threads about the cost of groceries going up... hmmm, seems like they should really be thankful about the "greatly increased taste" of their food. ;-)

15. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I totally agree. I have never been able to figure out the attraction for drinking that terrible dry wine that people seem to love. I drink Manechehevits and Mogan David. And Yep, I make my own balloon wine too out of grape juice from the grocery store. Works just great! I used to drink Mad Dog 2020 too, but eventually, the next morning's headache wasn't really worth it. Ah those crazy days of youth. LOL

donsgal

16. ladycat

Aaah, memories....

17. gracie88

gracie88 gracie88 Supporter

My BIL works for a wine company. They would like to use screw-top lids for their wine. It is cheaper, more efficient, keeps better, but people will not buy it, or at least, not pay as much for it. It is much better for business to put the same wine in bottles with corks and expensive-looking labels.