Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced/quality starter flute for my neice?

I purchased a used cheapie off ebay, that ended up with missing parts and other problems, so used is out, since I do not know what to look for.

We don't want to go off the deep end, in case she does not want to continue and we would upgrade if she did.

Marty

·
Registered
595 Posts
Back when I first got my flute my parents did rent to own from the local music store (I was in fifth grade) and when they saw that I was going to continue with it they then paid it off. I think they paid 400-500 for it. That was probably in '91? I played it until I graduated from high school. I still have it to this day but of course don't play it. I believe it was a Yamaha. I never wanted anything different, it did just fine for all those years. I will try and see exactly what brand and style it is when I drag out the Christmas decorations this weekend.

SARAH

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I was going to suggest renting/leasing it as well. Any music store should do this. I also think if she changes her mind you might be able to take it back for something different.

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
Yep, rent. See if the instructor will check it out for you. A bad or hard to play instrument will drive a dream away very quickly. Music has to be delivered and the delivery system must be capable of the job. :)

ps. good quality instruments appreciate in value

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Ditto, rent it. What's more, we rented a used clarinet for my daughter - decent quality, but cheaper than new even as a rental. She did very well, so when she started her 2nd year in school band I paid it off.

Incidentally, I played clarinet in school band too and she's now better than I ever was. :)

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
My mom and dad bought the graduating high school girl's flute from across the street for me.

I've bought from a pawn shop before, after the original one was sold and this was years later. Currently I bought one from Fingerhut, of all places. It's decent for beginning and just fooling around. Sounds pretty good also.

Angie

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
The Chinese cheapies off of ebay aren't any good new, learned that the hard way, they are unrepairable too. Best bet is to watch for a good used one on ebay thats what we did.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Renting is a good idea. It will give your niece time to see if she likes playing the instrument.

If you rent from a music store and decide to buy a flute, you don't necessarily have to buy the one you are renting. Music stores charge a lot for used instruments. Check local music teacher, band directors, newspaper ads and try out the flute before you buy it.

Just a note; what is commonly called a "step-up" flute is just a student flute with open holes and a high price tag.

Look for a common brand like armstrong, yamaha, gemeinhardt, pearl, bundy or artly. If you want to upgrade later, you can always buy a new headjoint and save that way. The sound of the flute is in the headjoint.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
We go through Taylor Music: http://www.1800usaband.com/
They have a "return any time" program. Since they are up the road (relatively speaking) we take the flute and clarinet there for cleaning/repair. Bottom line, it can't hurt to look. BTW, no, I am not affiliated in any way with this company.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
We go through Taylor Music: http://www.1800usaband.com/
They have a "return any time" program. Since they are up the road (relatively speaking) we take the flute and clarinet there for cleaning/repair. Bottom line, it can't hurt to look. BTW, no, I am not affiliated in any way with this company.

We are all into stringed instruments here but we did a similar thing. Found a large shop with a good reputation and bought a used instrument. A "return any time" program sounds like a good shop.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Jupiter. I have one and it is very nice for the price.

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
Talk to the local highschool band directors. Many graduating seniors sell their band instruments as they usually don't continue to play after highschool. The directors sometimes know who is selling, or can make an announcement to the band that someone is looking for instuments.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I played flute for 8 years and I think you got great advice in this thread. If it were me, and my daughter, I'd probably find an inexpensive 'starter' at a pawn shop or craigslist (I bet you could hunt around and get one for about 100 bucks). Once she has proven that she is going to stick with it, maybe get her a nice flute in a year or so. A very good quality, open hole flute probably runs around 1000 now (I don't know, I'm old and I played long ago). If she shows serious interest, I'd invest in a better instrument later :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts