Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day three does got dropped off to be bred by our bucks. Their names are Copper, Siratcha (not sure how to spell it), and Foo-Fee (yes you read that right, LOL.) Copper is actually the mom of Siratcha and Foo-Fee. They came over last year for the same reason, but only Foo-Fee got pregnant (she kidded in August.) So now they're here again. I hope they all get pregnant this time! ;) It's kind of fun to have these three over. They hang out by themselves . . . goats are supposed to be really social, but you don't see our goats making friends with those three! LOL.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, Siratcha went into heat today! She's supposed to be bred to Arthur, our most enthusiastic buck. Right now, if I opened my window, I would hear crazy yelling sounds. Siratcha is standing still and just letting Arthur breed her over and over again and whatever else he might be doing. Colonel, one of our other bucks, is angry. He's slamming the fence and mounting the other buck and slamming some more, trying desperately to get to the doe. He's never been this crazy! Hopefully it'll make him want to breed Copper when she goes into heat and actually do it properly. (Our bucks, besides Arthur, are notoriously dumb at figuring out how to breed does.) Actually, Colonel bred Hazel last month and she hasn't gone into heat since so I think he did the job properly; it's really Toby I'm worried about. We haven't tried putting him with a doe for eight months, and that time he failed to even be remotely interested in Foo-Fee; we ended up breeding her to Arthur. This time we're trying to breed Toby to Foo-Fee again; I hope he does it right! (Toby was actually born in June 2013, so he's only about a year and a half. Colonel and Arthur are 2 1/2, so they have better instincts. However, we first bred Arthur when he was Toby's age!)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Copper went into heat yesterday! We put her with Colonel last night; they're still together. Colonel was mounting Copper like crazy, so I'm assuming he got the job done!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the list of which doe is supposed to be bred to which buck, and apparently the doe with the strange name is spelled Sriracha. Anyway, Sriracha is in heat again today! Does that mean Arthur didn't breed her and they need to be put together again?

·
Legally blonde!
3,318 Posts
Sometimes a doe for whatever reason will cycle right back after being bred. We call it short cycling and it can be anywhere from a day or two up to 7 days after they got bred. It doesn't happen often and I honestly don't remember what causes it.

Justine

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, Sriracha is with Arthur right now. When we were watching Arthur, he didn't seem to be getting the job done, only flirting and mounting but no actual contact. However, he might get it done while we're not watching. Sriracha is definitely in heat because she was standing perfectly still while being mounted, as well as snorting and blubbering a bit.

I hope our bucks do their job properly every time this year! Our breeding plan is:

October 2014: Hazel (done!)

November 2014: Copper, Sriracha, and Foo-Fee (the girls who are here temporarily; Copper is done hopefully, Sriracha is the one short cycling. It'll be Copper's and Foo-Fee's second freshenings and Sriracha's first.)

December 2014: Clover (it'll be her first freshening)

March 2014: Sundae (second freshening; some of you might remember she had a problem birth with a single buckling in August. Hopefully she has multiples this time!)

That means we'll have kids in March, May, and August, and the person who has the other 3 does will have 3 kiddings in April. I can't wait to have newborn kids again, even though it's still months away! :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Foo-Fee is in heat! We put her with Toby. He's much more interested than he was a couple weeks ago when we thought she was in heat but she wasn't. He mounted her once while we watched them, and was sniffing her butt like crazy. Hopefully he'll get the job done! If so, we'll hopefully have all 3 stud service does bred! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts