Stud Sensor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by JWH123, Jun 15, 2004.

1. JWH123

JWH123 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get a stud finder. It was a mistake to type that in google! :eek:

Walls in my new house range from log (I guess I don't need the studsensor there!) to plaster (the 'new' part of the house was built in the 1860's) to drywall to paneling.

This will probably be mostly used on plaster walls. My concern is with picking up the lath instead of the studs.

I don't think I need sonic measuring capability, but I might get if the price is right.

Anyone with experience want to speak up for the one they bought?

Thanks.
    John

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Don't remember the brand, but I wasted my money. Just flat didn't work right and was lot of trouble.

3. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

I've got a Stanley, don't remember how much I paid, but it wasn't very expensive. It works pretty good, although it has been off a little before. Every time you use it, it calibrates itself when you hold the button down. If you happen to place it on top of a stud, that's when it's really off. Alot of times the centers aren't 16" on center, but that may be due to imcompetent carpenter's construction techniques.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Lots of luck with old construction. Don't depend on anything. you may not be able to find a sensor to work thru plaster and lath. I have a stanley and it's hit and miss. Might be farther ahead witha hammer.

mikell

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

you could usa a hammer, spike and felt pen to mark them.

mikell

6. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

A good ear

tap the wall with a hammer and listen to tone change
    a little practice

7. JWH123

JWH123 Well-Known Member

Well, I ended up with a $20 Zircon Pro SL studsensor. Player around with it on the walls and it beeps where it thinks there's a stud. Seems to work OK so far, haven't driven any nails to verify.

This one says that it will scan up to 1 1/2" deep. The $15 versions only scan 3/4" thick.

That was my father's day present.

John

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Let us know how it works.

mikell

9. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

I once knew a girl... Oh, sorry, different subject. OK.

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have had great success using the stud finder on drywall and panelled walls. Mine is an under $20 version-electronic.

However, with plaster it does not work. I have not found a stud finder that DOES work on plaster! Just this weekend I put several holes in the wall at my MIL's trying to find the studs (I re-checked and checked before hammering). Ended up filling them and helping her pick out a new bookshelf that stands instead of the shelves she wanted. Old plaster walls are a real pickle if you ask me.