Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a lovely Boer billy this spring for our girls. He is about 15 months old, registered, and has quite an impressive pedigree. Since we have only had him a few months, we don't have any of his kids on the ground yet. He has a wonderful personality and loves a good scratch behind the horns or on the cheek.

Last week, I was approached by a lady that I know about her Nubians. She would like to bring over two girls for stud service. Her does are clean - she works for the local livestock vet and takes good care of her girls. She would like to bring the girls over and keep them her for about a month. Luckily, we are set up well for this situation and would keep the new girls and Toad separate from the rest of the crowd.

My problem is this - I have no idea about what to charge for this service. I know it would vary according to if she wanted papers or not to register her kids as 50%, but I don't even have a clue where to start. Do any of you offer stud service for your goats and what kind of price range should I work with?

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
You will be boarding and caring for these does. You will be worrying about them for at least 30 days unless they breed right away. Set a stud fee on each, or make a package deal on the fee, then charge a per diem for their care. Your time and trouble are worth something. Per diem can run $1.00-3.00 each a day. I don't know the value of your buck's genetics so can't tell you a fee. People charge from $25. to $400. depending on the buck. And don't forget it is time and trouble to do the paperwork too.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We charge a $1 a day per doe for feed. We keep them until we are sure they are bred. Actual stud services are based on what we paid for the buck and what we think he is worth $ wise, and then we say 10% of that per doe. So if you think your buck is worth $300 then your fee would be $30 per doe + feed cost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts