Stuck Bin Update

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, May 6, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

A welder came out and put a slider door on the bin. He cut the hole behind it from the top as he slid the door down. He dropped about half a bucket of corn in the process.

The auger is still stuck, but at least we can either empty the bin or just dump some in the feed grinder throughout the year and fix the auger when it is empty.

It all, it was an easy fix.

Jena

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Just a comment welding is responsible for many secondary fires. Here I would have been concerned about the heat and sparks causing a slow burn within the corn. Be alert to the possibility when you have something like this done.

Ken S. in WC TN

3. A caution on dealing with stuck doors on grain bins: a neighboring farmer was trying to open the bin door, which was stuck, and all of a sudden it gave way and hit him in the head, killing him instantly. A terrible tragedy, and he leaves a widow and two daughters, and the farm. So be very cautious about working around such situations.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I had another thought about your bin. If you reverse the auger just a littel (don't strip the flighting!) sometimes the back presure is enough to dislodge the bridge.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

After a couple frustrating weeks with a stuck bin...a fire would have been welcome! At least the insurance will pay for that!

I think we can get it now with the door in it. Once it's empty this fall, we can see about fixing that auger.

Jena