Stucco for Interior Walls, Have YOU??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mawna, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Mawna

Mawna Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever been to a "Fudd-ruckers" hamburger joint? Well the one in Fayetteville Arkansas has the most beautiful stuccoed walls in their bathrooms. They are tinted a warm honey/clay/apricot color. When I saw those walls I went back to the table and told the hubby "GO TO THE BATHROOM NOW!!! Those are the walls I want in my kitchen and dining area!!" He came back and totally agreed with me. ~SHOCK~ he agreed with ME! :cool:

That said and my mind made up to do this and the question now is HOW? Anyone know anything about stucco and the technique of applying it? And just how on earth does a person go about staining them?

I am getting so much wonderful advice from all of ya'll. I just LOVE this site, don't you? :goodjob:
    Thanks,
    mawna

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A form of wall plaster is usually used to get the stucco effect, even drywall compound works. The tinting is done while it is still in liquid form. Apply it with regular trowel for stucco and a mud hawk.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We just used drywall compound and painted it after. I have it in my kitchen and dining area, also in one of the bathrooms.

In the bathroom I painted a base color and rag rolled a slightly lighter color over it. Looks pretty nice!

We also use this technique on ceilings in rental properties.

4. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

moopups and rose got it right. take joint compound mix in waterbased paint ,color of your choosing, roll on wall, then trowel to patern you like. rag ,roll or brush on decorative topcoat and you got it. Arnie

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Don't wish to be a wet blanket here but, what happens years down the line when you get tired of this look? Will you be tearing out your walls to get them nice and smooth again?

Also, think about cooking grease settling in all those crevices, bet it'll be a fun cleaning project. ;)

Of course it's your walls and your choice, just give it a little more thought is all I'm trying to say.

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I did this look in my bathroom using plain old drywall mud. We actually put it on with our hands like finger paints. Just smeared it on and then whisked it a bit with a broom to knock it down. It was easy to do just messy but it looked great. We painted it afterward but you could just tint the mud to begin with, but do a sample board and let it dry to make sure the color is right. Good luck.

7. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got plaster stucco walls, since I have a strawbale house. We used something called "Structolite" which is plaster with bits of styrofoam in it to reduce the weight of the stuff. Sometimes it was irritating to put on because sometimes the trowel dragged the styrofoam bits and caused lines and gauges. (Well, gauges is perhaps overstating it...)

If you're redoing plasterboard walls, drywall mud should work fine. You can put colourant in the stuff, or you can do just as nicely painting afterwards, using watered down paint. Get yourself a bucket of drywall mud, a few trowels (a rounded one and a 90 degree angled one for interior corners), and play. It's fun!

8. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

Since I clean for a living, I have to agree with CraftyDiva, the stucco look is really neat, but I would reserve it for rooms where it is not going to get very dirty! Also, if you live in a very dusty house or a house where spiders like to make their homes, you're just creating more surface area for those things to collect. But, if you must do it in your kitchen, i would at least avoid the backsplash area of your stove. In general, though, any textured surface in the kitchen is a bugger to clean. And if you hire someone to do the cleaning , they'll be muttering to themselves, "what were they THINKING?" Just my .02!

9. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

If you use the actual wall plaster, you should use blueboard for your drywall as the moisture content from the plaster needs a waterproof board. The greenboard that you use in bathrooms is only water resistant. It is not recommended To achieve a stucco look, you can apply several 1/8" thick coats of plaster using a trowel, making it as smooth or textured as you want. You can actually buy a powder paint that can be mixed into the plaster that will give you a a nice look. I have also seen joint compound used over regular drywall and that looks nice too. Not sure if you can mix the paint with it or not. Have fun!

10. Mawna

Mawna Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, thanks for waking me up on the kitchen being stuccoed! Yes that would be just awful to clean. Then I will keep this project only for my dining area. I am really getting into all of you guys idea's.

:grit: Now I'm stuck all over again what to do with the kitchen though that will look great with the stuccoed dining area. Both rooms are connected.

Did Someone ask me IF I would ever be hiring someone to clean my kitchen for ME?? Oh my Gawd I would never even know how to act. hahaha If you only knew hahaha Thanks for that one I needed a good laugh. ME? Ever be able to hire someone to clean for ME? Ain't happening in this life time hahaha More like ME hiring myself to clean for others. Speaking of that how much would something like that pay?

Thanks for everything you all are contributing!
    mawna

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

IN another house where I onced lived, I had a guy come in and spray the walls of a room, using the same equipment and compound that he normally sprays ceilings with. After the walls were sprayed, I flattened and smoothed the "dimples" with a trowel. It looked just like antique plaster or stucco. It was EASY!!! Got many compliments. After it had dried, I painted the walls an antique white.