Struggling Baby

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I am writing this for my friend again...she seems to be having trouble getting on the board.

Anyway, the baby was born on christmas and was a surprise. She appeared to eat ok, but is hunching over and not really thriving. (that's all I got)

Anyway, we called one trusted vet and he said to give her BoSe and vit A&D, but he didn't see her. Big fiasco...and my friend ended up at a local untrusted vet and he gave her those meds and gave her antibiotics. (she's three days old and 2.6 pounds!) He did say that she sounded "congested".

Maybe she inhaled amnitoic fluid or maybe she's sick. What's your thought on the antibiotic? I don't like this guy...if it were up to me I'd probaby not give her the rest of the antibiotic. (he gave her one dose already)

I am kinda worried now that she might end up with a cocci since she's already been on a 2 hour vet trip.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

if she sounds congested, the AB's can't hurt and might help. perhaps a dose of probios? not enough info. sorry. my babies stand with their legs up under them when they are cold, so not only when they are sick.

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

how long has this friend been in goats? kids do kind of stand funny when young. I am not saying nothing is wrong with this kid just a point to go on.

Congested in what way? cold or pneumonia? What kind of antibiotic? if it is any of the Oxy ----- (example: LA 200) I wouldn't give more then one shot. Naxcel is very strong too for a young kid. Just curious on the actual product being used.

Is the kid nursing still?

4. Croenan

The baby was hunching over. The antibiotic was Naxcel. I was kind of hoping to advise her not to give the baby any more.

5. PygmyLover

Naxcel is a very strong med. But I wouldn't want to be the one to say NO to it without knowing more of the kids condition.

Question: did you see the kid or did she describe it to you.

By hunching over do you mean head down and scrunched up? Trying to get a mental picture here.

6. Croenan

I haven't seen it....too busy with work. :( The way you decsribed it is how she described it to me. I am hoping to get by her house tomorrow...but my family needs my attention too. :(

7. PygmyLover

I know what you mean!

I am assuming no new news right? If she just needed the BoSe shot that would perk her up pretty quick. If she is still nursing and no chest rattling I wouldn't continue the shots. if there is indeed a cause for pneuminia then the antibiotic is worth it. To me it sounds more like a kid that needs time and nurishment to get on its feet. How cold is it where you are? Goats will hunch up when cold.

8. Croenan

Its been cold but not that bad...its recently dropped to freezing..but it has been quite warm lately. (for winter)

I will listen to her chest tomorrow and we will see. Momma goat is a first timer, but the baby seems to be eating ok. Thanks for the info...I'll keep you posted.

9. PygmyLover

as long as she is up on her legs and eating their shouldn't be great concern. Kids can look funny when first learning to walk around as well.