Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sprayed these areas with Roundup and the grass was killed but these other weeds apparently lived on. I need something that will kill all the weeds in these areas and also kill blackberry vines. What will work for this, Crossbow?

Thanks

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,805 Posts
Did you use a surfactant?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Crossbow is a Dicamba so yes it would work. It works great on most any tree especially in the fall.

Surfactant would help and spiking with any Dicamba would make a big difference.

·
~Love Saves~
2,985 Posts
Dump bags of rocksalt or water softener salt there if you dont plan on planting anything there in the next year. People will say it will make the soil sterile, but in my experience of using salt for maybe 6 years in a certain spot, it will simply control weeds for months, depending on heavy you lay it down.

·
Premium Member
10,370 Posts
Mix the 2 to kill everything, crossbow alone to kill everything but grass. Roundup kills everything green if mixed right but a whole new crop comes right behind. Mixing the 2 seems to kill everything D E A D. The only problem I have seen is if mixed strong on a very hot day the roundup can kill so fast that the crossbow doesn't have time to do its thing. Blackberries need sprayed in the fall as the nutients are going back to the roots, better kill that way. Best if done after the first rain to wash the dust off the leaves....James

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
What is your future plan for the plot? A lot of good strong sprays will be in the soil for a while preventing seeds from germinating. Is that what you want?

Roundup will actually do well for your weeds, you justneed to spray when the weeds are actively growing. Your timing was off the first time.... Roundup has zero effect on the soil, so weeds will be sporuting and growing the next day again.....

Milestone is another good one that will kill off all the boradleaves in a pasture setting and lingers a while, mixed with Roundup it will kill everything.

Paraquat is the big soil sterilizer, but it is dangerous to handle, follow the instructions carefully.

--->Paul

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,805 Posts
I have YEARS of experience with Round Up, and using a surfactant is essential. :) You need it to help the Round Up stick to the leaves.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I don't condone this, but for places like gravel walkways, driveways, and along fences, I always used to put some diesel fuel in a sprayer and spray the ground. It will sterilize it, but if you're on a well... weeeeellllll...

I knew a lot of old farmers that used to do the same thing for years. I learned it when I spent a summer on my great grandmothers ranch when I was a wee kiddie.. One of my chores.. I'd imagine it's not really legal any more.. .

·
Daniel
1,467 Posts
I use a concentrate generic roundup with Surfactant. I pay about $40 for 2 1/2 gallons. I mix it twice the recommenced amount and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I do the same thing but mix 50/50 diesel fuel and gasoline. It is far cheaper then Round Up and does the same thing...maybe even better.

Round Up gets a lot of press, but really for a weed killer, it is very benign.

I don't condone this, but for places like gravel walkways, driveways, and along fences, I always used to put some diesel fuel in a sprayer and spray the ground. It will sterilize it, but if you're on a well... weeeeellllll...

I knew a lot of old farmers that used to do the same thing for years. I learned it when I spent a summer on my great grandmothers ranch when I was a wee kiddie.. One of my chores.. I'd imagine it's not really legal any more.. .

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
A small amount of diesel fuel with the roundup makes a good additive - surficant. Like, a gallon per 100 gallons of spray. The diesel will be more harmful o the environment that the roundup, but in small amounts the environment deals with the petrochemicals.

A bit of nitrgen mixed in also helps with the roundup. They make special liquid or granular products for this. These products also 'soften' the water you use in the mix. Hard water can tie up roundup molicules, so using soft clean water is also important in roundup mixes.

--->Paul

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you know anyone that works for the railroad. See if they can get you some of their plant/weed killer. It will kill everything with the first application.

·
Plotting My Escape
787 Posts
One of those portable torches from harbor freight will do the job without spraying a ton of chemicals

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Roundup is not a good broadleaf weed killer. You need to mix 2,4D with it or buy the already mixed stuff. If that is an area this you want bare all year round there are other products to use. Talk to your local chemical dealer or extension agent.

Bob

·
Registered
115 Posts
Remedy is what is known around here to kill mesquite trees in South Central Texas. If it will kill a mesquite it will kill anything. I know people that mix it with diesel fuel because the remedy is so expensive. I forgot what the ratio is, but it is SUPER POTENT stuff. I wouldnt get it near anything you want to live thou.

Remedy® Ultima Herbicide, 1 gal. - 4201739 | Tractor Supply Company

1 - 20 of 23 Posts