Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe its just me but..wow..all of a sudden I smell cat urine. I have four cats. And three cat litters. No toms, had them taken care of. There are three boys and one girl. Everyone..to my knowledge..uses the litters.

But the last couple three days..oh my..I keep thinking that I can smell a whiff of cat urine. The boxes are clean..I have the same .. really good air cleaner. What's up? Can a cats urine all of a sudden get stronger smelling?

Any help or ideas out there? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
The urine smell can get stronger with infections/inflammation, diabetes, other diseases.

Are you sure somebody didn't urinate outside the box? That happened to be one time-the urine ran under the dryer and I didn't notice it for a couple of days. Ick. Urine will fluoresce under a black light if you suspect somebody may have gone outside of the box.

With several cats you may have to isolate individual cats with their own box to determine which is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL..all things are possible Golden Mom! I will do some extra "scouting" around and see what I can see.

Ya know..we have had these cats two yrs. or there abouts now. Took em in when they were VERY small..cause momma brought them to the back door and left em..it was winter.

I never really liked cats. But now..oh my..they are all such a part of the family! But I have always been blessed that no one could ever tell we had cats by detecting their smell. Soooo...this really freaked me out.

On the infection side of things..and again..I don't know much about cats..everyone "seems" to be okay..orniary as ever..lol.

Thank you so much for the ideas. Oh .. and I love your avatar!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Thank you-that's my Ruby in the avatar.

I'd just keep a close eye on everyone, if the smell doesn't get better within a couple of weeks then I'd try separating them to see who is doing it. Then you can take the appropriate cat in for a check-up/urinalysis.

Another thought: You haven't change food or treats lately have you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts