Stripped Baby Pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by beeman97, Oct 23, 2006.

1. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

We have been bredding hogs now for acouple yrs & have not changed anything in the way of breeding stock.
    In our last 2 litters by different sows, 1 a 100% berkshire, 1 a duroc x old spot sow. both with the same boar sire, a 100% Tamworth, we have gotten 2 piglets in 1 litter & 1 in the other litter that came out with the telltale stripes of wild hog piglets.
    now while i say nothing has changed in the breeding stock it has not, but we have recently moved our entire operation several hundred miles to upstate NY.
    This of course is not a big concern as far as the pigs go, im just abit curious why it would start showing up in stock where it had never been before, & am wondering if there is a chance it is because of the climate change from the warm south to the chilly north country. That along with a larger pasture area then before.
    that is the only difference i can see that has taken place in our operation.

Any idea's on this occurance could make a good discussion.
    What do you think?
    Rick

2. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Maybe a wild hog jumped the fence. :shrug:

3. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

With 100% pure berk and tamworth... Something has changed in the breeding stock... or they are not pureblood????

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I don't think that climate would effect your breeding stock as far as changing what kind of piglets show up. I'd just say some odd genes just popped up. Got a pic of these stripped piglets? I just had one born in my last litter. I call her squirl. All the other piglets look like a typical Duroc with some black spots thrown in from the sow. This piglet is totally different- She has dark red and light red stripes on her back and a creame colored underbelly. Very cool! At least I know my sow is a mutt mix so nothing would suprize me.

Heather

5. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

Feral hogs are no respecters of fencing. Sounds like your little ones have two daddies.
    I had a feral hog get into some of my young gilts' pastures last year. They are pastured with some boars already. Several offspring from those litters were obviously not purebred. Didn't have any striped babies, but had a large number with distinct dorsal cowlicks. Had a "fire sale" on those litters and practically gave them away. Feral daddy was subsequently terminated. The latest litters have resumed normalcy.

6. beeman97

Redhog,
    The stock is in fact 100% pure, so that is not an option,
    upnorth,
    we do not have any pics of the strips, but my wife is going to try to get some pics of 1 tomorrow, the older ones have lost most of there stripes so getting a pic of them is gone now, wht u describe your's looking like is what we are getting.
    plus after i left the house yesterday 1 of my pure bred tam sow,s had a small litter of only 4 which are also showing signs of stripes ,,, leeann is giong to try to get a pic of them as well ,,, these are 100% pure bred tam's
    & Plowgirl,
    i would consider a rogue boar getting in except for acouple of very good points, the 1st beeing the fence, which nothing gets in or out of unless it flies. & the 2nd & more important is the 120 lb pyree that protects my livestock. he is introduced to everything that comes in which we want to stay & he absolutly kills anything that is not taken in by us, him with his GF, another pyree are a very formatable pair when it comes to killing what is not wanted, we live in a high coyete area of upstate NY & even they do not come anywhere near our property.
    When it comes to feeding time our pyree backs everything in the field off including our 700 lb boar as well as the 2000 lb hereford bull.
    he is nothing to play with if he sets his mind to something.
    I am actually considering keeping the stripped girls in the litters & breeding them to promote this gene, they are very attractive piglets.
    Rick

7. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

our york crosses have very faint stripes. i thought it was common for all piglets to have stripes, just most you couldn't see real well.

8. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

do you mean a stripe down the center of the back???

9. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Rick, I've bred the same boars to the same sows and got different coloured litters with every farrowing, including some that are striped. The only common demominator is that there has been Duroc in either the boar or the sow.

These stripes tend to fade and disappear as the pig matures and one sow that I have that was vividly striped with ginger on a black background and a cream underbelly is now just a black sow with a cream underbelly. So don't be surprised if the stripes disappear.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

10. beeman97

Ronnie,
    I fully expected the stripes to fade, they do on wild hogs as well, it is a trait for protection.
    The older babies have already faded off & unless you really look you can't tell they ever had stripes. they are 8 or so weeks old now & getting weaned inthe barn.
    I jaut think it is a good trait tht i will continue to try to promote in mny offspring.
    Rick
    BY the way ,, anyone interested in any feeders or weaners we have ALOT ready to go at the moment.
    & now have acouple pure bred tam piglets that will be ready in 6 to 8 weeks.
    Someone here contacted me jsut alittle while ago about some tamworths & this litter was abit unexpected ,, so if your still out there & looking please contact me again , as i have forgotten who it was,, the mind is the 1st thing to go as they say & mine is long gone i guess......
    Rick

11. beeman97

here are acouple pics of the newest tam piglets, & as u can see the baby closest to the sow has very light stripes,,,, these are not as pronounced as the stripes on some of the older piglets which are X breeds,
    the 2nd pic is of the boar we have & the 3rd pic is some slightly older piglets but not a good pic of there stripes,,,,,Rick

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/beeeman1/farm2006016.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/beeeman1/farm2006017.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/beeeman1/farm2006009.jpg

12. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

[​IMG]
    Finally got around to taking a pic of my striped piglet. You can see how different she is from her siblings. Much more fiesty too. These guys are 3 days shy of being 4 weeks old.

Heather