Strike Anywhere Matches

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fire-Man, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I was thinking that I read on here sometime back that the strike anywhere matches were not made any more. I know Wal*marts and lots of other places don't sell them---------well saturday I was in a store that had a shelf full of them--------are they coming back to the stores now??. I bought 5 boxes of the kitchen matches and 10 of the small boxes--but if they are not being distributed---I am going back to get a bag full. Thanks Randy

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I don't know if they're coming back. Just wanted to let you know, be careful to not leave them lying around where rats can get to them. I've always known those matches a barn burners. Rats chew on them and ignite them.

Cool beans on your find! I was disappointed when I couldn't find them anymore. They sure are handy.

3. Fire-Man

Yea I had heard that--------I thought I would store them in the metal ammo boxes-----That will keep them safe and dry. Thanks Randy

4. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

They're hard to get because you can cut off the tips and make a bomb out of them....

5. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Well, lookey what I found! :p You might want to talk to the owner of that store and have the matches kept in stock.

I didn't check the price of shipping but the store price might be better.
    http://www.emergencyresources.com/er_p11.html

6. Fire-Man

I paid 99cent for the big box of 250 large kitchen matches, and $1.19 for a box of 10 of the small boxes. Randy

7. TundraGypsy

TundraGypsy Well-Known Member

When I was at a sporting goods store in Cody, Wy I purchased a box for $1.99. I found more at a sporting goods store in Missoula, Mt for $2.19. Then when I went to Sacramento, Ca and visited a discount store, I found boxes for $.69 a box! I guess they didn't know what they were. :)

8. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

One little store here carries them so we always stock up in case they disappear again.

Fire-Man sure is living up to his screen name today, with this thread and the magnesium firestarter thread. Everybody needs a hobby, I guess.

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy them at the grocery store...I didn'tknow they were ever hard to find.

10. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

local gen store carries the full sized ones. sporting goods store in town 30mi away carries the small ones.a bundle of 10 boxes fer .69. They used to be known as penny matches, one cent a box..LOL

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

if you buy a whole case at that store, be careful the feds dont follow you home.

12. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

If you want some fun, put one in an air rifle (drop it down the barrel 'mine was a .22 cal. Daisey' and pump it up a few times). Make sure there is no BB or pellet in the chamber, the air will do the work.
    Take it and aim at a block wall, when it hits it pops like a firecracker, I don't know how I learned this as a kid, but it works!

For goodness sake wear eye/ear/ and asbestoes clothes and have a fire extiguiser? plus a water hose ready...... I never needed one but everyone knows about lawyers and such!

13. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I thought every kid knew that.

14. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I just bought some at Rural King, they even had them on sale. :cowboy:

15. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

A friend of mine got pulled over a few years back after stocking up on these matches at Wal-mart. The officer told him that they were on the target list of meth manufacturing ingredients, which might explain their disappearance. He had purchased about 20 boxes of them, as he didn't go to town much.