Stress related abort

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Tiffin, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

We have an AI'd bred Dexter cow due in July so only 3 months along. Also have an 18th month old steer who could be ready to send to the butcher. Here is problem: These two were born one week apart on the same farm. They were moved to our farm together so in otherwords have been together for this amount of time. They are like lovers. They are not out of each other's sight, lay down together. If one goes to the barn to drink the other one follows. He was always there during her heats. We are now worried that she could become so upset and stressed when we send him that she could abort. Am I thinking in too much of a human way? We could wait to send the steer. Any thoughts?

2. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

Do You Have Any Other Cattle? These Are Pets. I Know, I Know, All About It. If You Can Afford To.......just Keep Them Both. He Will Be A Good Surragate Dad For Her Baby When It Comes.

Sale Barns Allow For Cow-calf Pairs To Be Sold. Never Heard Of Sibling Pairs To The Same Buyer[unless The Same Buyer Chooses Them Both]. But You Could Do A Private Sale Out Of Your Own Barn.

Doubt She Will Loose Her Baby. When It Gets Here She Can Name It After Her Brother. [OFFHAND CHANCE HE WILL ATTEMPT TO NURSE HER TOO]

Having Just Had To Sell A Cow-calf Pair You Have My Sympathy.

Mum

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I've seen cows endure some pretty extreme stress without ever aborting. Are they the only critters in the pasture? Most herd animals prefer to bond with their own kind but absent that they will bond to anything that will tolerate them. If the cow is alone she will bond to you.

4. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

Maybe get another cow or steer to replace the one being butchered. Cattle are herd animals by instinct and need another one of its kind or more around 24/7, which you can't really do, right?

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

She may bellow but she is unlikely to abort. Another animal will give her company, be it a goat, hog , or donkey, etc.

6. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone.
    We did choose the two together from a local farm. They have different moms but same dad. I should have mentioned, yes, we have 6 other cows; one is a steer. I guess I shouldn't worry. DH laughs at me. I treat them like babies. Last night when the storm was coming, I called them into the barn, gave them hay and locked the door. Then got up at 5 AM to check on them and open the door. They didn't leave; very content.