Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month and a half ago DD9 spent four days in the hospital with a upper resp. infection, sinusitus, strep throat, and a UTI.

Well, yesterday we noticed that she wasn't eager to drink. Since her disability she still doesn't know how to drink with a regular cup, she drinks from a sport sipper, or sippy cup. She would eat, but not drink. No fever, and acted fine. Except for a little sleepy.

Yesterday morning she was quite junky. Sounded as if she could have a good cough and get it out of her system. So I gave her a nebulizer treatment and it helped a bit. As the day progressed, she got better. Then last night she sounded a little junky again.

Two a.m. she wakes up and is so congested that both DH and I sit up with her, pat her back, suction her, give her a breathing treatment, and suction her agian. No difference. So we packed her up and headed up to Childrens Hospital.

She has strep throat again!!! Fortunatly, she's just on the brink of it so I think we caught it in time. She also has an upper resp. virus. But they deep suctioned her at the hospital and started her on an antibiotic, and we were discharged at 6 am this morning.

Is anyone else seeing bouts of strep where they live??

·
Joy
2,569 Posts
Has the whole family been tested for strep? We had a problem with recurring strep and it turned out that one of the kids had an asymptomatic infection and was reinfecting everyone with no symptoms himself...

-Joy

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had strep a when DD had it the last time. DH seems to be immune.
Right now DH, who's a school bus driver, is unemployed for the summer, so he's not around kids who might possibly have carried it around.
Im suspecting she might have picked it up through the school where we bring DD for speech therapy twice a week, or the rehab center we go to twice a week for pt and ot.

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Have you checked your home for mold? I found that I was constantly getting sick and come to find out, the house had mold! :help:

Good Luck, I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am so sorry! It is scary when your child is having problems breathing. Have you had a nap yet?

Hugs and prays coming your way. :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Fiddlekat,

Hope your daughter is feeling better.

The daughter of a lady I know had it over and over and over. Ended up having to be homeschooled because she would get sick everytime she went back to school. The doctor's told her someone she was around was a carrier.

I also had strep every year as a child. One year I kept getting it over and over and it got so bad my dad had the elders from the church come ane pray over me. :help:

Hope she gets well soon! Oh, be sure and get her a new toothbrush and throw the old one away.

Beth

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,436 Posts
When my older son was in first grade, he had strep six times. We had the doc remove his tonsils. No more strep.

T

·
0 Posts
Don't forget to replace EVERYONE'S toothbrushes when she's getting better. Keep hers in a separate room if you can.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My SO's cousin is a carrier. But unlike many she is constantly sick, like 3-4 nasty times a year. She just starts popping the anitbotics like they were breath mints, kinda scary when you hear about antibotic resistant sicknesses on the rise.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Brea said:
Has she had her tonsils removed? It might be a good idea to look into if she hasn't.
She doesn't have health insurance, nor even a highschool dipolma. A really nice person that could do so much more with her life, but she chooses to spend money on drinking everynight and makes poor decisions. She could save her money and get her tonsils out, but it's more imporant to her to dress in cute trendy clothing and go bar hopping.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Did you know you can pass strep back and forth with your pets? Your kid gets antibiotics and recovers, but has kissed the cat, who then gives the kid strep again....and again....and again....

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jan fortunatly our cat isn't a cuddly type pet, and our daughter rarely seems interested in the furball. So I know she didn't kiss him, nor he kissed her.

I know the doctor said some antibiotics will clear the strep up, but not completely correct the problem.

She does still have her tonsils, and that is something I am going to inquire with the pediatrician about.

thanks all for your input!!

·
Debbie
263 Posts
This happen when my children were young, doc told me to put the tooth brushes is the dish washer or buy new ones. They can re-infect their selves brushing their teeth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts