stray dogs

Discussion in 'Goats' started by james dilley, Mar 17, 2005.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Stray dogs killed and ate the next door neighbors goat today,

2. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I would not waste one minute, I would call your local pound to come and pick them up. I hate to hurt animals, but I would not stand back and do nothing. If the pound won't come soon enough, I have a very nice 9mm that will take care of the problem. I hate to be so blunt, but I wont let anything get to my animals and do any harm to them. They are like my kids, I will fight to no end for them.
    Tina

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I started a fight on Homesteading Questions. Two different threads erupted by my asking for advise concerning dogs that killed my son's rabbits.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I don't know how far out of town you live. Where I am, there is no functional animal control.

The neighbors dog who comes over to play with my dogs and couldn't care less about my sheep and goats I have no problems with. He's a sweet dog.

Any dog caught threatening my animals I do shoot and bury somewhere. I ran out last year after hearing all heck break loose outside to find my oldest goat holding off a husky mix - Gohan has his horns and really doesn't like dogs. That dog's pushing up a plum tree right now. Gohan got to share an ice-cream cone with me as a treat - very good goat!

5. uri

uri Member

Let me start off saying that I love dogs. I have a beautiful shepherd. BUT, if a dog comes on my property threatinging my animals that dog becomes a predator, and must be delt with as such. Neighbors who let their dogs run, don't deserve them in the first place. I would prefer to have a dog picked up, but if that isn't possible, a shotgun works pretty well.

6. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

We live in a rural area where lots of people dump their unwanted dogs, and have someone who lives over a mile away with almost 20 dogs that run loose. They may not run loose here though. There were three older Labs pups that showed up when my does were due. My husband's mini 14 scared the dickens out of them and they never came back. I also have a .22 rifle that would work. I could call animal control in this county, but a sheriff would show up and use his gun in many instances.

7. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I'm an animal lover (I have 5 dogs myself), but all are chained. I would either call the dog warden and let him know, or SSS.

8. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I too am a dog lover, we have 15!! BUT, to those people who let their dogs run on others property, breed with who ever, when ever---RIDICULOUS!! It is a shame that animals have to pay for a human's ignorance, don't get me wrong, I will shoot and kill any dog on my property harassing my animals. The ones "passing through" get a BB gun on their butt, my horrid neighbors dog will not grace our yard with his presence any longer! Some people need to learn responsibility! :mad:

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Animal control is very serious in this county (livestock is a major enterprise) they came and got the 2 dogs the queer thing is someone tied the dogs in their yard next to the goat,I think they had someone P O at them.

10. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

here I sss, dogs, that is shoot shovle, and shut up.
    Oh I know people will think that is so wrong. well, one day we had a pit bull in the yard, killed 15 chickens before hubby could get a good clean shot. and 2 days ago, i had a pit bull, and rockweitler, in the yard, everytime I thought about going out side, the ywere after me. well, no more. I will shoot. yes, stray dogs, will kill and eat goats, or piglets, or just about anything else you have on your farm.

11. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, SSS works. I love dogs, too, but when they start running, especially in a group, the pack mentality tends to take over and bad things happen. I don't want to kill a dog, but will do what I must to protect my child and/or my animals. The law gives me the right to kill a dog that is attacking my livestock, and I will, if necessary.

12. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Someone actually brought the dogs onto the property and tied them up where they could get the goat? There is one sick person running around out there. If I was your neighbor, I'd keep a lookout, and a weapon handy.

Meg