Stray dogs!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by stacygoats, Jul 30, 2006.

1. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Well I've spent the past two hours this morning keeping a eye on a big black stray dog that keeps wandering between my property and the neighbors. My chickens are safe because their pen has hotwire around the outside, the doe with 2 week old kids are still locked inside this morning. The only thing at slight risk are the big goats out back, because I've got field fence with no electric, but the tubular gate would probably be easily dug under. A couple times I've seen the big goats take off runningup towards the barn, so I know the dog has approached the fence where they were laying. He's done nothing aggressive, just wandering around, but sure makes me nervious. My Aust. Shepard is inside the front pasture and hasn't noticed him yet or he'd be barking his head off.
    Does anyone else have problems with stray dogs? This is the third one in the past week, probably doesn't help that my neighbor has three female house dogs and none are spayed. I decided that as big of a animal lover as I am there may be a situation where I would have to take matters into my own hands and shoot someones pet if it was aggresively going after my goats. Don't like the idea, but I'd be able to do it.
    Maybe I'll have to put electric fence all the way around my big pasture, kind of a pain but would reduce the worry. Called animal control last week and they will not come out for a stray, but said I could catch it and bring it in to them, which doesn't seem real helpful.

2. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

perhaps they have a dog trap you can borrow....

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We have a lot of strays in the area, but also have a perimeter electric fence. That keeps most out.

Occasionally one will slip through but our dog has run of the land and will run them off. The ones that sneak in are usually rather naive pups that caught a light fence zap on the way in and are confused about getting out.

We haven't done it yet, but we keep talking about getting a paintball gun in case a stray gets in and really threatens our herd. We don't want to kill a dog, especially if it belongs to a neighbor, but we want to make it really clear that they don't want to be here. We also like the idea of the dog going home and the owner knowing that something happened. If the dog is a real menace and we have to paintball it to defend our herd, it makes it very easy to describe the dog to the police and the dog warden. :) Also makes it hard for an owner to deny their dog was here.

We've never regretted the work or the cost of putting up that electric perimeter fence. That does such a good job that we can just keep thinking about maybe getting a paintball gun. Without it we'd be dealing with strays on a regular basis.

Lynda