Stray Cattle Dog puppy

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by henny, Jun 17, 2004.

1. henny

henny Guest

I found a stray Australian Cattle Dog mix pup over the weekend. Blue (the puppy) is about 3 months old and is adorable. She is smart & adorable and I already love her, but to be fair to everyone she needs to fit in with my existing house dogs. She currently gets along well with my rat terrier (16 lbs) and my border collie cross (29 lbs). tolerates her.

My question is will this peace last if I keep her? I didn't know much about ACD until I started searching on the web and now I feel like I know too much. The breed pages list numerous temperment and behavior faults (unfriendly to strangers, biting, excessive barking, dominating other dogs, chewing fanatics) and basically say that ACDs can't be house dogs. Nothing I read made it sound like Blue would fit in our household, in fact it sounded like she would become the dog from Hades. I do live in the country and have 2.25 acres, but our dogs are house dogs.

Does anyone have anything good to say about ACDs? Should I just give up and find her another home?

Henny

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

There's an ACD who lives across the road from me. :D He's darling!

I've known a couple over the years and have only met one unfriendly one. As long as you socialize him to people and other critters, he should be fine. They're not big Party Animals :rolleyes: like hounds or other breeds, but they're very smart and nice guys.

I'd definitely give him a chance. :D

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

They're great dogs IF you are willing to train 'em right, socialize the hell out of 'em, and give them LOTS of exercise. They can be housedogs without a problem- easy to housetrain and very smart, but very few of them are happy being JUST pets. Like BCs, they really need a job to do, and when they don't have one, they can be REALLY destructive.

Cait

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I 'inherited' one when a dear friend died and his sweet wife had to move to the city. They got him from a rancher because 'Chub' just wasn't a herder. He was really sweet and gentle. If she is getting on with everybody and seems sweet, she will probably stay that way. Just mho.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

They are supposed to be hard dogs, but you could have an odd one. Why don't you accept her as a "foster" dog and teach her how to be a good housepet. If she proves to be to high energy for you, she will be better prepared to fit into another household. She may be a good agility dog, and if she has good manners and basic training she will be easier to assess and rehome.

6. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The are high energy dogs with incredible intelligence. They do bond completely so if you are a family, make sure she bonds with everybody now cause she won't change her mind later on. If you don't have an actual job for her, know that you will have to exercise her very regularly and quite agressively. They are happy playing fetch (frisbees or balls) and challenge their mind by teaching them tricks, there's nothing they can't master. If you have children, you can rest assured that she will protect them. Our male is a bit quirky, when we have guests, he's fine with them if they are already in the house but if he meets them at the door, he's agressive. We just put him in his room for a few minutes and then let him out to mingle. He accepts the other pets and he's very gracious with them but 7 years later, the Border Collie still just tolerates his presence but they have such different personalities. I forgot to mention that they are a bit slower maturing so have patience with them till they are at least 2.

7. henny

henny Guest

We are going to keep her. Her name is Blue..She has settled down a lot and is now quite at home sitting on the couch watching TV with our other dogs :) She still has issues with collars and leashes, but we will be slowly working on that. She has a vet appointment at noon and we'll see what she has wrong with her besides worms and a goopy eye.

Wish me luck, she is a sweetie!
    henny

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Henny-she's going to be great. We have a 1 yo ACD mix. Very smart and easy to teach. We use a kennel still at night. She puts herself in to bed now and we can even leave the door unlatched. Soon she won't need it at all. Course, she is at the foot of the bed to get her attached well. She has jobs (herding the deer and rabbits) and she has plenty of 'smart' toys like a kong with a treat in it to play with at times. She is so good I let her greet some of my clients now. She sits patiently outside the door to greet them. Her 120 pound sibling (an aussie shepherd/husky mix) lets her boss him sometimes. They get along great.

Can you tell I fell for the breed? You'r going to enjoy her.