Stray Cats

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by starjj, May 16, 2005.

1. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

First of all I DO NOT hate cats. I have one of my own that does NOT stray. I have having a problem with a neighbor's cat that comes in my yard and stalks the birds. I am raising a family of bluebirds after 3 years of trying unsucessfully so it is a big deal to me. I went over and explained NICELY to the cat owner about her cat and my birds and would she PLEASE keep her cat out of my yard. I didn't even get into the subject that the cat isn't tagged with a rabies tag. I did mention that it is the law in our town to contain your animal. Today first thing in the morning the cat is back out in my yard stalking the birds (I know it is in their nature) this is AFTER she agreed to keep it away from the yard (the only way she could do that is keep the cat under control) sooooooo I called animal control and they set a trap for it. The officer said this way if she wants her cat she will have to pay to get it back. Your thoughts? Am I wrong to expect people to not let their animals roam freely. I had the same problem with two dogs that would always come down and poop in my yard until animal control gave them a warning. This was after I had asked the people nicely to not let their dogs roam free.

2. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

You aren't out of line at all on this one. People should keep their animals at home. You tried taking the nice road, but the neighbor doesn't want to comply. What other choice did you have? Couldn't been worse, you could've exercised SSS!

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I agree...I wouldn't have set a live trap for it, though...I probably would have set a foot trap.

4. starjj

Thanks for the encouragment I was feeling so guilty because I know it is NOT the cat's fault it is the stupid owners. I would feel much worse about it if one of my bluebird's was killed though.

5. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

There are three types of cats. Indoor, outdoor, and feral. Only indoor cats are really owned. You may feed your outdoor cat. You may pet and play with your outdoor cat. But keep it in you yard?????? I think not. Cats are hunters. The only way to stop them is with a bullet. You can trap them but it just becomes someone else’s problem. If you think you can protect wild birds from cats, you’re sadly mistaken. I have both indoor and outdoor cats. I fully expect any time an outdoor one could disappear. In fact a female I just had spayed I haven’t seen for 5 days. The only way to raise birds safely is in a cage. Now I don’t know you neighbor so I don’t know how stupid he is. But if his stupidity is gauged on his inability to control outdoor cats, there’s a bunch of us stupid people.

6. starjj

Then outdoor cats are not pets and if one disappears then the owner (so called) shouldn't be upset and say it is a pet. I have lived on a farm also and had outdoor cats but in the suburbs where there are laws that govern these issues it shouldn't be MY problem. I should be able to raise bluebirds in MY yard and not have to worry about someone's cat.

7. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

I’m not aware of any laws that govern cats. But it would just like the government to try to create another useless law. Do you think the laws of nature are different in the city? I put numerous bird feeders out because I love to sit and watch the birds. But every now and then I see a cat go by with a bird in his mouth. You can’t change Mother Nature.

8. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

I've pretty successfully warded off cats with a hose. They only need to get completely hosed down a couple of times before they think twice about coming in your yard. That includes "thought crimes" - when they are thinking about crossing the fence. I nail them then too. it doesn't take long, just a little patience. You can even set it up with a bit of food the first couple fo times and then wait. Something stinky is best. then..... turn on the water!

babs

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

You should have rented a cage and trapped it then took it to the pound as a stray that way the owner will not know what happend. I feel sorry for the cat as well its just doing what comes naturally and I fully understand your aggravation I would be mad too!!! I hope you can get this straightened out.

10. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

You asked the neighbor first. I think you did just right. This way if they still want their "pet" they can bail it out. FAIR ENOUGH!!!

11. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I also think you did the right thing. We had a family of wrens in a little nest on our deck last year, in a planter. It was so cool because the back of the nest was against our window and there was a hole in it and we could see and hear the three babies! We really enjoyed it, until the neighbor's cat ate them, right about the time I think they would have flown off. It was awful. The mother flew around and so did the dad, he had been helping? I didn't know that they did that. Anyway, it made me pretty mad. This neighbor doesn't care to control her cats either, it seems, and she is a good four lots down from me, so this cat gets around.

There are two that cruise through my place and frighten the chickens at least once a day on the weekend, I'm not there during the week. I have a fence that keeps out dogs and deer, but it is impossible to keep out a cat.

Good luck! Hope she sees the light and you don't just end up making an enemy.

hollym

12. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you did the right thing. I suspect this is an indoor/outdoor cat. All your neighbor needed to do is put a collar with a bell on the cat.

13. starjj

Thanks for all the replies. My feelings are I spoke nicely to the neighbor because I didn't want to do something without at least a chance. I know if i was in the situation and someone talked to me I would try to see their point. The update is I watched the cat this afternoon come into the yard creep along the fence line and then it smelled the "bait" (cat food) the animal control officer had put in the trap. It showed interest but as I think it is pretty well fed it would not enter the trap. I went out and poured some tuna oil on top of the cat food so we will see what happens. As a side note these people got a dog (a ridgeback cross) and left it tied up in their backyard for almost a year and it just barked and barked constandly. I also saw the son kick it several times when he would get frustrated with it. I left a note in their mail box that animal cruelty was a crime and I had seen her son kicking the dog. This dog finally has a fenced yard but they don't pay it much attention. I just don't understand people that get animals and then ignore them totally. As far as laws covering cats it is common in most towns to have laws that govern both dogs AND cats having rabies shots and running at large.

14. starjj

I have tried that but the cat is so spooked by humans it will run as soon as I go out.

15. starjj

EXACTLY My cat has one and the ONLY place she goes is about 10 feet from my patio door. She has been trained she is not to stray and I have been keeping her in since the bluebirds are nesting. I can leave the garage door open and she will sit inside the garage all day and never go out.

16. Sherri C

Sherri C Plays with yarn

I'm glad you're not my neighbor.

17. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

SSS.

Free roaming cats are a pest. They are incredibly destructive.

18. MeowMix

MeowMix Active Member

Yes, it is a problem. I take care of strays. The one's that people decide they don't want any more. My OWN cats do not go outside. My dog Does NOT roam free. I do however, not only have the strays to care for and my own. The neighbors 2 labs are always running loose. They eat every piece of cat food they can put in their mouths. (very costly for me!) Then there are the 2 coons that come at night to eat with the cats. And Lord knows what else when I am not standing guard over the food dishes! :D The dogs? ?? I get sooo MAD at them but I have to remember that it is not their fault that their owners don't give a rat's @@@ what they do. They did not ask to have irresponsible owners for sure!! People should NOT have any pet if they have no intentoin of taking care of it and being responsible for them. Pets are an obligation, a very long term one. If you don't have the time to give them all that they need, DON'T get them. :soap: :soap: :no: :)

19. MeowMix

MeowMix Active Member

The indoor/outdoor cat that I had wore a bell and that was a working thing. But I haven't seen her for over a week, so I am assuming that her bell also attracted a preditor to her.
    As for a cat being trained?? Yeah, right. You may not SEE your cat go any place but you would be really surprised to know just where she does go when you are not looking. cats have large turfs where they roam. I really do hate that cats are such awful killers. But I really don't think anyone can change that. The only cat that doesn't roam is the cat that NEVER goes out side. If your cat IS trained, then you have done a great thing. :)

20. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Many cats are smart enough to learn how to silence their bell while stalking. The only way time I can see can having outdoor cats is if you live somewhere rural enough to where they are actually working pest-control. No reason to let them roam around town to get hit by cars. Fixing them helps keep them closer to home, but it won't stop them from going in the next yard over. I don't know of anywhere it is legal or even socially acceptable to let your dogs roam free! Sounds like your neighbour doesn't understand the concept of pet ownership very well.