strawberry tiers???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by LisaLu70, Apr 20, 2005.

1. LisaLu70

LisaLu70 Member

Has anyone here ever planted strawberries using those 3 level aluminum tier kits you see in the catalogs? If so, how did it work out? I want strawberries but don't really have any room in the back, and I was thinking this tier thing might be ornamental enough to look nice enough in the front yard. What do you think? I have never grown strawberries before, but I am excited about the possibilities. It holds 50 plants. Thanks for anyone willing to share their experiences!

Lisa In WI

2. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I haven't used the aluminum tiers but I do have a wooden version. The bottom tier is a 4x4 square cut from 2-8 foot, 2x6. The second tier is a 3x3 square cut from 2-6 foot 2x6, and the top square is a 2x2 square cut from a single 8 foot 2x6. The wood looks nice and went together easily. I prefer the wooden frame to the aluminum as you can sit on the edges and weed rather than having to stretch over from the outside. The tiers beat a normal strawberry patch hands down. Hope the information helps.

3. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

I have tried it all in the past and ended up killing more than I ever grew! We have since tried just the single layer of garden logs with just goat and rabbit poo and very little dirt. We are now in the 3 season with the same 50 plants, that have spread to fill in the square shape. For attraction we put a butterfly bush in the center that also provided shade for the fruit.The strawberry plants stay green all summer and provide a nice ground cover around the bush. This year I have planted some day lilies to add color to the box. In the winter I just cover the plants with hay and more poo right before the first frost and they have already started to grow when I take the hay cover off in the spring. The garden logs are 2 levels high so you can sit on them for weeding also. This was a very simple plan and one even I could do with help from my husband! So, if your tiers don't work or seem to be too much work try this way, hope it does as good for you as it did me.

JR05

4. LisaLu70

LisaLu70 Member

5. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I had one once,sold it in the aluminum scrap.takes to much dirt to fill one and never could get it just right.Maybe it was just me :rolleyes: