Strawberry spinach!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Feb 16, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I picked up a package of this new seed,(botanical name is chenopodium capitatum) it has leaves that are similar in taste to spincah and also edible berries, they look like raspberries. Has anyone ever grown this? It was quite expensive, but apparantly reseeds itself so I imagine that it could be invasive.

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like an excellent plant to grow for the goats....I wonder if we have it here. :)

3. becky4050

becky4050 Member

"chenopodium" means that it's a relative of the common lamb's quarters which is supposed to be good to eat (never tried it myself) but which we all know produces billions of seeds and spreads like crazy. I think if I were growing it for myself I would pick it before it went to seed so it doesn't become invasive.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

It's not all that new. I grew it in the 90's. Never could get any berries from it, but the greens were good. At several points it looked like it would make berries.....then nothing. Now maybe I had critter visitors that stole them.....don't know for sure :(

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

were did you get the seed jackie? sounds like a good draw for the market! ours has lots of yuppies looking for the off beat and unusual . worth trying a few packets of seed.

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I believe the berries are pretty tasteless, it is mainly grown for the greens.

7. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I got the seed from Canadian Tire, the brand name is McKenzie. Here's the product description on the back of the packet:

A remarkable plant that grows delicious berries and tasty spinach-like-leaves in one! Very showy and compact plants are grown for their nutritious trangular tooth leaves and tender shoots used in salads or steamed. Shiny mulberry-like fruits are edible, can be added to salads or used for drying. Re-seeds year-after-year. Annual.

I'm always on the look out for unusual vegetables and such for market. I think they might add some appeal and curiousity to the market table. If it doesn't sell, the chickens or pigs will get a tasty treat!

8. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/shop/spinach.html scroll down...this is the spinach page