Strawberry recommendations

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by .Marie., Aug 3, 2005.

1. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

Sylvar, I don't know where you live....but I am in zone 5/6 (Ohio) and I've had success with Ozark Beauty (everbearing) and Surecrop and Guardian (June-bearing). Hope that helps.

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Thanks Marie! I am in Ohio too! I am in Fairfield county. Thank you for your suggestions, I was beginning to think noone would respond to this one.

Shane

3. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

Shane, you might try going to a local orchard and ask what varieties they grow. Your soil may be much different than what I have up here. I'm northeast of Columbus. The soil here is mostly clay. I used landscape edging to build three-tiered circle beds on top of the ground, like the ones sold in kits in many seed catalogs. I braced the edging in place with wood shims. I filled them with a mixture of potting soil, rabbit manure, a little sand, and finely shredded pine bark. I started with 100 plants 3 years ago. I had plenty of excess berries to sell this year!

4. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

i would suggest what ever variety you get make it an everbearing. they will keep you supplied with berries all season long.

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Surecrop and Sparkle are tasty varieties; not over-huge. If you are wanting berries to freeze you need a June bearer. The everybearing are fun but you only get a few berries at a time for your cereal in my experience. DEE