Strawberry Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, Jun 25, 2005.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I have about 24 half barrels that I am growing strawberries in.

I planted them earlier this year, and they were quite prolific -- producing alot more fruit than I ever thought first year transplants could. 'Course that rich soil they were planted in, plus all the composted horse manure I heaped into the containers prolly helped in that regard.

These plants are now producing runners - lots and lots of them - and the runners are spilling out of the containers. The containers are three to three and a half feet off the ground, so I'm not sure if they can reach the ground to take root or not. But at any rate, I have not enriched the soil below the containers -- it's just heavy clay soil with grass groing on it.

But here's my question: I'm wondering if I could clip those runners and plant them in a raised bed I have just built in another part of my garden. There they would have rich soil to grow in.

If the runners can be clipped and replanted, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for your advice.

2. plantaholic

plantaholic Active Member

I cut apart the little plastic packs that flowers come from the nusery in. Then I fill these with great, fluffy soil. Whenever there is a runner that doesn't need to fill in a hole, I press it into one of the packs. I take a horseshoe nail and press it in to give it a little help at first. Water, then water some more and before you know it. Presto! strawberries ready to move where you want.