strawberry propagation

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mtnmom208, Apr 5, 2005.

1. mtnmom208

mtnmom208 Well-Known Member

Last fall, my neighbor gave me the runners off of his incredible strawberries. I'm sure I have at least 50 babies. I was instructed to leave them on the runners and store them for the winter in moist sawdust where they wouldn't freeze.
    I am not sure how to best bring them out of this dormancy. Should I clean them up and plant them in stater pots first (indoors) or should I just put them directly outside in the strawberry bed. We will still have light freezes until the end of May. How resistant are they to frost? Do you think they survived the last 6 mos. with the method I used?
    Thanks, MtnMom

2. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I am assuming your strawberries are from another Idaho strawberry grower. While I'm pretty good on strawberries, I'm not a frost expert - so here's my best shot. You may want to check with your ag extension office for your local area.

In the mountains of central California, we'd cover the berry plants with straw in the late fall to protect from the freeze/thaw cycle. I didn't see strawberry starts at the nursery today here in Colorado so I would guess that you are too early. Yes, runners survive in sawdust very nicely. Right now might be a good time to work aged manure into the soil and get your raised beds ready for your starts. I think if the soil and days are warm enough, they'll very quickly bring themselves out of dormancy when planted. Raised beds warm up quicker than flat ground. If you want, cover in black plastic to really cook the soil before planting. You can even cut small holes and plant through the black plastic like they do commercially in California - both warms the soil and keeps competing weeds at bay. My GUESS is that you'll probably be able to put these in by the end of the month -- but that's strictly a guess. Check with a local nursery to see if you'll still need to protect from frost if you're planting that early.

Enjoy/

3. jdskidder

jdskidder Well-Known Member

I'm in the northern part of CA. I have had my strawberries out for a month now, they've been thru 2 frosts and are just fine (I even have strawberries already). BUT, it's been warm during the days and most nights are in the 40's at least. I would wait till the end of the month, getting your bed ready like Becky has said.

Dorian

4. zel

zel Well-Known Member

I started a lot of runners last year and put them in the greenhouse overwinter. I am setting them out now. I have a big plastic garbage bags full of 1 gal. plastic milk bottles with the bottoms cut off. I set one of these over the small plants as I transplant. They will take a bit of frost at night all right, but the mini greenhouse also protects them from the wind. A small stake run through the top hole and into the ground at an angle prevents them from being blown over. I'll leave them on for 3 to 4 weeks.