Strawberry Plants...need opinions...please

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by RevlonEyes, May 24, 2005.

1. RevlonEyes

RevlonEyes Active Member

I think I may have killed all my strawberry plants. Two weeks ago DH and I planted 50 strawberry plants. (I've had strawberry plants for years.) Last year got some straw full of every bad seed imaginable that I had used for mulch (Of coarse you don't know that till it's to late). So we decided to clear and start fresh. We put mushroom soil down as I heard that does great for growth. It ended up being full sun when we did all this and till it was said and done had about 100 plants total we planted. We waited a couple of hours to water as not to burn the plants with it being full sun. Didn't even think when we watered that the water was still hooked up to the house that has a water softner. To make a long story short. All the plants look like they have died. Do you think all is lost or if giving enough time will come back? Not sure if I should just start all over again or not. How long do I wait to see if new leaves start to grow? Also I planted into the mushroom soil not down into topsoil, do you think that may have been the problem? Really hate the idea of the money lost and the fact that my ham strings hurt for about a week...lol. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

It's my experience that strawberries are pretty tender, although no one else seems to think so. :rolleyes: And I've never had any luck with plants purchased from local sources or those things in the plastic bags. Lowe's strawberries? BAH! Etc.

This year, though, I prepared a special bed just for strawberries. I purchased Tristars through http://www.gardeners.com and some Heidis through Forest Farm because both places have such great reputations for high quality. The Heidis seem to be a bit temperamental, but the Tristars are great!

I planted all in pots the minute I got them home, and kept a very careful eye on them for a couple of weeks before I planted them outside. They are NOT in full sun either --- it gets maybe half sun. Soil in the bed is a mix of peat, straw, manure and shredded paper. And they are all very happy.

So long way around to say, if you purchased from Lowe's or similar, I think their plants are seriously lousy. Also I've never bought into the burning deal --- if t was very hot that day, it may have been better to just water them.

But my suspicion is they were likely not the best plants to begin with. Try getting from a supplier with a great rep next time and see what happens.

3. RevlonEyes

RevlonEyes Active Member

I did buy from a rep company. They were everbearing strawberries. I had the plants for several days before DH and I redid the beds. The plants were looking great until we planted them. That's what makes me think, it was my fault.

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You put them in the ground and waited two hours in full sun before watering?

I don't think that was a good decision.

5. RevlonEyes

RevlonEyes Active Member

Rose, looking back I have to agree with you. I guess I'm wondering where do I go from here. Do I wait and see if there's still life in the plants. Is there a way of telling if it will snap back with new leaves?

6. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I thought straw did not have seeds? Hay has seeds.

7. RevlonEyes

RevlonEyes Active Member

This was straw, I had thistles and I can't remember the name of the one seed that you brush past the bush and it attaches itself to your clothes, it has a little barb on the end of it. There was also some kind of wild vine, and some type of clumped grass. It was terrible. I spent over 25.00 on new plants and dug up the old ones to give them a better base and now it appears that I have nothing. Unless you think in time they will take root and still produce.

8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I would give them a chance and would water for each day for three days before giving up I would wait and see if they snap out of it.

9. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

Is your water softener using sodium chloride or potassium chloride? Salt isn't
    that good for plants and I believe strawberries have low salt tolerance. You
    might be able to flush by watering (with unsoftened water!) until you have
    runoff.

From web:
    "With drip or furrow irrigation, chloride and sodium injury does not generally
    occur in vegetable and row crops. Leaf burn can occur in strawberries,
    however, particularly under hot and dry conditions, With sprinkler irrigation,
    chloride and sodium may cause injury to wetted leaves of susceptible plants."