Strawberry advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by CurtisWilliams, Aug 9, 2005.

1. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I just received 8 baby strawberry plants from GRIN. I was expecting these months ago, before the summer heat set in. I am on the border between zone 4&5. We are still having 90 degree days and the frost date is 9/30. We have an average winter low of -15.

Can I plant these babies outside this year? I can cover them with a cold frame and then mulch them like crazy. If not, what is the best way to overwinter them? I'm thinking that I should root them in buckets and when the cold weather comes, store them in the basement, which gets in the 40 degree range. If I do this, should I let them dry out or keep them wet? How about a heating pad under them and/or flourescent lights over?

I also got blueberry seeds. Do these need a cold cycle to break dormancy?

Thanks a lot.

2. mtn bluet

mtn bluet in Illinois

Yes, I asked a friend about strawberries and she said it usually takes the 2nd season to get strawberries from the plant , so you are in luck.

You need to get them in soon, so they have a chance to root, etc before the cold weather sets in. Hence, within the next 2 weeks you should plant them, as she said the end of September is too late. We are here in Rockford, Illinois --northernmost IL.

HTH

(I will have to ask my garden club about the blueberry seeds, though.)

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

If you plant strawberry plants in the fall you will get berries in the spring; of course, the second year will be more prolific but we never bother about picking off all the blossoms like some books suggest....do you think the big strawberry places do that?! We just got 50 plants in the mail today and will put them out in a raised bed well filled with rotted manure. Put the soaker hose on every couple of days so they can get well rooted before cold weather which we don't really get around southern MO until Dec. or so. The experts say that covering with Remay row cover will give you up to 45 % more berries. Got some of that so gonna try it this fall and see if they are right. Next summer remember to root those runners...I take recycled styrofoam cups filled with dirt, put one under the end of each runner and peg down with an opened paper clip...make sure they don't dry out. You will get lots of new plants to plant or share with friends for free...free is always good! DEE who can't eat store strawberries, allergic but her organic ones don't bother her at all.