strawberries ?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by pamda, Mar 13, 2005.

1. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

O.K. I have never planted strawberries before. Any thing very diffecult involved in it? Thanks, Pam

2. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure that you don't plant them too deep. The crown needs to be above the soil line. Other than that, the type of soil would be foremost in my mind. Pick your variety according to your soil.

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

A lot of plant energy is used to produce fruit which limits the energy going back into the root system.

It used to be standard practice to keep the blossoms removed for one or two years so that the root system would receive the extra energy.

In the late 1970s or early 1980s Rodale Institute (Organic Gardening) did tests which lead them to advocate harvesting a small crop of berries the first year, a slightly larger crop the second, and a normal harvest the third. More total berries were harvested using this procedure than simply waiting until the third year. Since most folk want some yield of their labors early on I would recommend this. It is what I used and it worked well for me. I did not let new runners root the first year but limited the growth to the mother plant so that it would get all of the plant energy not used for berries.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

How long do you keep the "mother" plant? How long will it produce?

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Anybody???? :confused:

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've recently read that you start with new transplants every 4 years. I think this is from advocates of removing most or all of the runners.