strawberries in kiddie pool

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by doodles, Mar 16, 2004.

1. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I aould like to plant strawberries and wondered if planting them in a kiddie pool would be a good idea. What do you think?

2. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

It might work as long as you put some drainage holes in it on the bottom and long the bottom on the sides. Just keep them watered to as the plastic will dry the dirt out faster.

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Along that same line, if you put drainage holes in the bottom, set the whole thing on hardware cloth, so the moles, voles, or gophers don't come up through the bottom. I think it's a great idea and I think I will use it myself, thank you for the suggestion! I think I will put straw at the bottom of the pool, cover with compost, then soil.

I'll use mine for peppers - tell us how your berries turn out!

4. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I put my strawberries in a kiddie pool last spring and by fall I had to build a raised bed. The plastic gets old and breaks easily. The sides started to sag due to the weight of the dirt. :no:

5. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got 3 seasons quite successfully out of a kiddie pool. I've grown all kinds of things in them. I've done well keeping them covered with Remay (floating row cover) held on the edges with spring type clothes pins. That keeps both flying insects and birds out nicely. For a longer life try using the large black tubs they sell to mix concrete in. Two of the large ones cost around the same as a good size kiddie pool. Myself I like the kiddie pools with premade holes that get left at the curb!

P!