Straw Seedheads Around Tomatoes Are Sprouting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Fla Gal, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Interesting situation that I've not seen mentioned here. The straw seedheads in the straw I put around my tomatoes are sprouting. Should I just remove the seedheads or remove and plant them? Would it be worthwhile? :confused:

2. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

You've got to get rid of the grass. You can pull it out or place something else around the tomatoes. About 4 sheets of newspaper should work, to block out the sun and kill the seeds. Throw some dirt on top of the newspaper, to keep it from blowing away.
    lacyj

3. Fla Gal

Well, if I don't feel like the idiot of the year. :eek: Where's my trophy?..... I'm sure none of you ran off with it! :no: :haha:

I posted this message early this morning while drinking my first cup of coffee and trying to wake up.

I should have said that I'm experimenting with the trash bag and straw method of growing potatoes. I doubled bagged the trash bags, punched holes in the bottom, added a little dirt, the seed potatoes and covered them with about 5 inches of straw.

The seeds in the straw seedheads are sprouting and I wondered if it might be worthwhile to plant these sprouting seeds to grow them.

The potato sprouts are beginning to show through the straw and the straw sprouts are about 3 to 4 inches high. I'm wonderering if I can utilize these straw volunteers. :confused:

lacyj,

If the potatoes had been in the ground your advise is excellent for that situation and I appreciate your input. But, I'd like to know if someone has any ideas for the straw seedheads other than trashing them.

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

So, now I'm confused, do you have potatoes or tomatoes, or both. You could probably throw the sprouted seeds anywhere, with or without dirt and they will survive. They are hardy suckers. Just make sure they aren't too close to your garden. Due to the new seeds, they will produce on maturity. You probably won't want to put them in your dog's play area either(if you have dogs) Due to the seed heads getting stuck in their fur.
    lacyj

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

We pull them when they are about a foot tall and toss to the ducks and chickens. They aren't bad to chew on for yourself, too.

6. Fla Gal

lacyj,

Sorry for the confusion. Well, here's my trophy. [​IMG] I was sure none of you took it. ;)

The straw and seedheads are in the potatoes. I've got planting on the brain and was probably thinking about the tomato seeds I'm about to plant. I don't have dogs so location other than getting too close to the garden is no problem. I must say, the seeds are very hardy. I bought this straw last spring and it's been kept dry and out of the sun.

Birdie_poo, that's a great idea, what I don't manage to scarf down I can share with my doves. Thanks to both of you for the information and if anyone else knows of more uses for this "weed", please share.