Straw mulch experiment pics

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, May 17, 2004.

1. Can't seem to fix my log-on problem, this is Homesteader. We're trying a combination of straw mulch and newspaper mulch to stop the crab?quack?bermuda? grass that began to take over the vegetable garden. Pictures are at: http://community.webshots.com/user/homesteadernv

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Cool pics and seems like you have lots growing, but what is your conclusion? About the same?

3. This is Homesteader. It is working. By now I would have spent many many hours weeding (now, this is not counting the crabgrass problem). What I mean is, no matter what we had to do something to smother out the crabgrass. But, it does of course smother out the other weeds too. True, I have spent time putting the straw and/or newspapers down, but it is much easier and pleasant than weeding.

4. southernchick

southernchick Member

Wow!! Loved your pictures!! My garden looks more like weeds than anything else. I think I'll try that...sure wouldnt hurt. I know it has to be a lot better than pulling weeds. My knee caps are beginning to look like leather...from getting on my knees and battleing the weeds. :(

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

It's been working well for me too. I use newspapers and cardboard and a few rows even got the official black mulch paper.
    Your garden looks amazingly HUGE!! How big is it?

6. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed looking through all your pictures, you can see the evidence of all the hard work! Where is your place?

7. This is Homesteader - sorry, I didn't check back and didn't realize you all had asked questions! The garden is 5,000 square feet, you can only see some of it in the pictures. It consists of 32 forty-foot rows.
    We live in the desert southwest.