Straw Bale

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dreams30, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

This thread is for all of those who want to debate and discuss straw bale building. Have at it! :D

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Great now I can ask, (cause I'm dying to know) what ground has free straw? I'm also very interested in the quality of straw used. I know straw is combined with two types of machine and am wondering if it makes a difference that the straw is chopped fine (which is difficult to bale) or left long. I'm also wondering if as the straw is baled if moisture testing is done or any preservative/drying agents are added.

3. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

have read that the best straw to use in bale construction is rice straw - something, i believe, about having a much higher silicate percentage supposedly making it mildew and rot resistant -

4. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

From the first thread:

Question for Dreams, or Yucca if still around...

Does this only work for straw bales - bales made from the stalks of something like wheat, or rice per JfZ6?

Are hay bales a no-go? I saw a comment about moisture content, and I assume that green hay bales would be bad that way, but can dry, yellow hay work?

And Dreams, what type of plant are you getting the straw from? Sorry if you answered this already...

Thanks

5. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

At the old time tractor show in july . the very old baler machine
    (belt powered from a tractor) really compacted a bale...and after many comments "Gee this is heavy" a small bet started.
    Finally the bale was weighed...................#140.........
    WOW
    I asked what the normal weight usually is and was told "40 to 50 lds"
    I shure wouldn't want to heft those ultra compact bales for long