Strangest thing happened...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CountryDreams, Jul 21, 2006.

1. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I came home last night and checked on the bunnies. With this heat, the bunnies have been my main concern. We had our neighbor put out the frozen pop bottles for them mid-day. All the bunnies were doing good but we were missing two baby angora bunnies. The cage was closed up and hooked. I called the neighbor and asked him if any got out while he was putting the bottles in and he said no.

The only thing that I can think of is that those little guys managed to squirm their way through the holes in the cage. :shrug:
    The sad part is that with three tom cats, I am afraid they became cat prey.

I still have one bunny in that cage with mama. They were only two weeks old. I'm really bummed out about this.

I think I'm going to have to take a look at my cages and see if I can make some changes to prevent this in the future.

Has anyone else has something like this happen? Please tell me that I'm not the only one. I feel like a bad rabbit mom right now.

2. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Or a cat could have hooked them and dragged them thru the wire. How big are the spaces between the wire and what way do they go? For instance most of my cages are 1x2, with the 2 inch being vertical, not horizontal. I also have hardware cloth around the bottoms of my cages as baby guard, about 4 inches high on most cages. I also use 1x1 when I build my own. Would it be posssible for a cat/predator to get close enough to reach into the cage? They shouldn't have just fallen out, their heads should be too big at 2 weeks to go thru the wire. Check with the neighborhood kids. Maybe the neighbor left the door open and turned his back for a minute and they fell out. I hope you find them.

3. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

yes, it happened to me too. We have our hutches inside a cattle panel fence (to keep the dogs out). And then the bottom half of the cattle panel fence has another piece of fencing (1X2 I think), halfway up, that keeps the adult bunnies IN! It doesn't help much with the baby bunnies that fall out of the hutch though. It's really surprising to go out in the morning and there will be a baby bunny sitting on the ground waiting to go back with its mom, lol (this was with the NZW bigger baby bunnies). I figured out that they were escaping near the door of the hutch, so I fixed that. But then, another group of babies (Dutch), got old enough to start exploring, and I couldn't figure out how that one got out. And the next evening, someone left the gate to the cattle panel fence unlatched, and that babies had totally disappeared. I still have no idea how it got out and I've changed cages since then. :shrug: It happens. Just makes a person more careful the next time. Don't feel too bad about it, remember the cycle of life .... and besides, he might still show up! (I had that happen too!)

Woodsmokeinherhair!

4. CountryDreams

Still no sign of the babies. I've looked at my cages again. The spaces between the wire are 1x2 with the two inch being vertical. I've never had this problem before but I'm going to put some wire mesh around the bottoms of the cages, at least on all my does cages. The few dollars that I'll spend on that will be worth it, considering that these two angoras would've sold for a minimum of $30 each.

Thanks for the advice on this one. I'm going to pick up some hardware cloth or something similar this weekend.

5. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

On one of the rabbit email lists I am on, someone suggested a temporary fix for those that had no baby saving wire sides of the cages.

Duct tape wrapped around the outside bottom of the cage with hay pushed up inside the cage next to the tape to make it "non sticky" so the babies wouldn't get stuck to it.

Just an idea that might work for some of you who didn't think you'd be raising bunnies when you built the cages! <G>. Of course, once the kits are big enough to manage w/o crawling between the wires, remove the tape and you have your cage back to "normal".

Terri

6. CountryDreams

Terri, that is a wonderful idea. And it's much quicker than trying to get the hardware cloth around the edges of the cages. Thank you for sharing that with us.

7. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Duct tape fixes everything, don't it?