strange sexual behavior of Nubian doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by harplade, Mar 26, 2006.

1. harplade

harplade loving life on the farm

I have one particular doe who loves to rub her head (where her horns would be) on the rear end of another female. She typically does this to only one other doe who stands still for maybe 2-3 minutes while this Nubian rubs her head all around the vulva and back legs. The other day I saw her doing this to another doe who was standing still and letting her do it. I am wondering if the rubbed upon doe might be in heat and is enjoying being rubbed-should I get the male in there? But why is it always this Nubian doe that is doing the rubbing and no other ones? Obviously this is not a life and death question but I am curious if any of you have seen behavior like this and what does it mean?

Thanks,
    Harplade

2. lazybee

lazybee Active Member

Funny you should ask that question. I have a Nubian doe who started this last Nov. or so acting more male than female at certain times! She's 5 years old and has never done this before. She does the whole gutteral thing with her tongue hanging out and rubs up against the other does. I even think she's pregant and still carrying on like this. I, too, am curious to know if anyone else has seen this behaviour and what might bring it on.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I am thinking it is a dominance thing, though I also believe that it may draw the bucks' attention to the in heat doe. Ever notice how exited a buck gets when it see's another buck to this behavior? I really think it is a dominant doe drawing the buck's attention to an in heat doe.

4. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

My Pygmy does do this when they are in heat, including the bucky sounds/tongue thing and mounting. Normally they do it on another doe in heat. It seems to be hormone related. Does with cystic ovaries and hermaphrodites will also act very bucky.

5. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

I've seen this also. Not so much the bucky behaviour, but other does mooning over another doe who is in heat. Hormones.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

With our cows, and our grandparent's cows, the girls that were acting funny, aka doing male like things to the other girls, were the ones in heat. By the way, that was only when there was not a boy around to service them. Good luck with the mystery. Bye.