Strange Screeching Creature??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kstornado11, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, this is a weird question, w/ a probably very simple answer. I was just outside, and heard a loud, screeching sound... it's late, 11:45 PM, and we are in the middle of the woods in eastern Kansas. The best I can describe it is that you know what the "wolf whistle" sounds like?-- only like a large bird....! Do owls screech like that? I know we have a lot of HUGE great horned owls out here, maybe a screech owl? :shrug:

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Screech owl or maybe a fox. They're both screechers, though the foxes tend more to screech in the spring (hubba hubba...:rolleyes: )

3. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

We have fisher cats that make a weird shrieking sound. Also night hawks.

Either way...keep some lights on to keep them away from your stock!!!!

Andrea

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Yeah, fishers sound like women being attacked--a shrieking howl that sounds strangely human.

5. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

A bobcat can make a blood curdling screech too.

A certain owl sounds like a horse whinny ing.

6. Kstornado11

Well, I know it wasn't a nighthawk, or a screech owl... I was wondering, as the last 2 nights my dog Isaiah,great Pyr mix ,has been on the prowl barking MADLY for hours... my hubby went out night before last & shot his 22 in the air, & whatever it was took off, same thing last night, but THIS time right afterwards Iwe heard a coyote howl REAL close. Luckily all the poultry is safe in the coops.But it wasn't the coyote that made the screeching sound. The Great Horned Owls can make what sound like a bunch of monkeys in the trees, but never heard them make THIS sound. It seriously sounded like the "wolf whistle",2-toned pitch, only in a low, screeching way... hopefully it will be warmer tonight so hubby & I can spend our Anniversery outside w/ a couple of drinks & flashlights!! :p Do fishers hang out near creeks? We have one that winds all around the property,thru the woods.

7. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

well, maybe it was a cougar. I don't think your pyr would go out of his way for an owl. you never heard it before, I take it?. funny, my husband claimed he heard something, too over on the hill where there is not a house for many miles. the other day while I was digging sweet potatoes I heard a short noise like an older human coughing, in the overgrown woods next to the garden. I know I did not imagine it because the dog reacted. so, the woods are full of noises and we do not always know what it is and describing it is as difficult as discribing a flavor.

8. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Yup. Fisher Cats are martens - like weasels...with big old rat faces and fuzzy tails that make you think the neighbor's cat ran into a rat and had a short romance. Ours hang in and around the trees by the pond. You may be able to find a site online that has different type of calls might be worth a shot.

Kinda cool if they weren't so vicious the not-so little predators they are...

Andrea

9. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I also have to go with bobcat. I am in Eastern Kansas too and we had one in the field behind our house for several years. It would scream and my daughter and her friends would run for the house. I didn't know what it was at first until my BIL was over one day and told me. He thought it sounded lonely and was calling. Houses were being built all around that area at the time, and probably not too many bobcat in that area. We never actually saw it for the nine years we lived there until the night we moved. My DD and I heard it out front of our house. We looked out the window and there it was in the road. She looked at me and said "THAT is what I have been afraid of?" It wasn't huge, much bigger than a housecat, but not too intimidating (since we were in the house!)

Here is a link of animal sounds, ours sounded like the last bobcat link B0B-CAT.wav.

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/animals/BigCats.shtml

Sure sounded creepier than it looked!! :rolleyes:

10. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Bobcat Unearthly scream. An angry sounding screaming. My dogs came right in from the patio and would not go out. Cats would NOT go out. And the neighbor's boy saw one. S

11. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

Its a Yeti! Catchit and you will be rich!

Try finding recordings you can download online, for the different animals listed and see if any sound like what you heard.

12. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

Try this link..
    http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/foxweird.wav
    I heard this one night. I'm not afraid of much. :hobbyhors I go out hiking in the woods at night all the time, but this sound..yikes! The scariest part was how fast it seemed to be moving..or maybe there was more than one....shiver!

13. Kstornado11

I couldn't get the link, countrywife.... :shrug: was it foxes? The closest I have come was the first bobcat sound in the link by Kindred spirits:
    http://www.sound-effect.com/sounds/animal/BigCats/bobcat.aif
    but i also am leaning towards the psycho-monkey sounds of the great Horned Owls that hang out literally feet from my frount door, but none I have found online are like the odd screeching I heard...
    really good site for bird sounds....
    http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Bubo&species=virginianus &
    http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php?genus=Bubo&species=virginianus

...but I wonder if the dogs going nuts was over the coyotes, that I heard after my hubby shot the gun? Would they be bold enough to hang around so close w/ my Pyr(he is pretty huge, but not full grown yet) barking like a mad dog?

14. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

could be a fox. I have one that hangs around and I've confused it with an owl.
    It's a screech sound mostly, with often it will throw in a sort of yippy bark, but nothing like a dogs bark sound. It is more of a screech sound to me.

15. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

Yes, foxes, sorry the link didn't work. Maybe this one?
    http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/sounds.html
    foxweird is the one I was trying to send...I never knew foxes made noises like that!
    If the link doesn't work, paste it to google and that should work.

16. Kstornado11