strange question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Aug 2, 2004.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Ok this may sound odd, but I'm at a loss in what to search for. We have an oppertunity to purchase a house (in about 6-8 months) on an acre way outside of town. The yard , house, 40x45 pole barn, garage and lean to on the barn cover about an acre. Its surrounded by corn fields and the neighbors are in general very friendly. The house is solid, and there's enough space to build another bedroom(it only has 2). It also has a Hardy outdoor wood furnace, installed recently. My dh's concern is that there is a power plant within driving distance and he's concerned about cancer rates near power plants, especially for our (almost) 5 yr old and 3.5 yr old. How do I find that information? And since the neighborhood is in the middle of cornfelds, wouldn't there be a risk from the pesticides? We won't be getting any animals just yet, except maybe chickens and rabbits....so the yard not being that big isn't an issue. Its bigger than the one we have. I can't get past the 'cancer" comment, after watching my aunt diminsh in just a few months of cancer..I can't imagine watching one of my babies going thru what she did. Is cancer rates near power plants a real issue? I remember some years ago they were trying to link cancer rates to power lines near a playground, does anyone remember that? Sorry this was so long, any comments appreciated.

2. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

You state the powerplant is within driving distance. Is that 2 blocks, or 100 miles? If it is several miles away, I don't think it would be a major concern, but if it is a few blocks, I understand your hesitation. Don't know of any links for you to check, but you might start with checking the EPA, or OSHA.

3. StinkerBell

StinkerBell Well-Known Member

It seems I recall awhile back reading that children had a higher rate of lukemia when they lived arounf power plants....Something like that.....Maybe a search in the way of the disease may yield you what your looking for.

4. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

If you go to goole and do the following search, you'll find several articles:

electric line cancer

5. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

What kind of fuel does the plant use?

That would be the decider for me.

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

This doesn't sound odd and IMHO, powerlines and electromagnetic fields are something to consider in making a move to a new place. I recall that about three years ago a newspaper in England (?) found a link between powerlines, child leukemia and cancer. I wish I did, but no longer, have the link. You might want to check out this book before making a decision to move to that area depending on how far the "driving" distance" is.

The Great Power-Line Coverup : How the Utilities and the Government Are Trying to Hide the Cancer Hazard Posed by Electromagnetic Fields by Paul Brodeur.

Boston: Little Brown & Company, 1993. "Tough, hard-hitting, and highly controversial, Paul Brodeur's new book vividly documents tragedies like these all across the nation-and exposes the massive cover-up undertaken by the electric utilities and their government allies. Brodeur focuses on a wide variety of cases-particularly those in which children are at risk...."

Fla Gal here. You can find a copy of this book at Half.com for very little money (I'm not willing to part with my copy). If you want a low cost copy of this book check out this half.com link.
    http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?meta_id=1&domain_id=1856&cpid=3328505

As far as pesticides go, poisons are poisonous and toxins are toxic. They contribute to the total toxic load to the land, your body and contribute to cancer. If there are pesticides appllied to the cornfields around your property, when it rains the pesticides will run off, leach into your soil and be absorbed by any plants you grow that are exposed to the runoff.

Homework... do your homework..... Before exposing yourself to something you feel is an innocent thing, ask the farmer/s what pesticides they use and do your homework. Make sure you're able to live with and accept the situation you put youself and your family into. Google and other search engines are a great thing.

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Pesticides are not routinely used on corn. They are used if and when there is a problem with a pest. Last time my husband used a pesticide on a corn crop was over 20 years ago.

Jena

8. Tempest

Tempest Well-Known Member

My ex accepted that he'd be disabled at a relatively young age from working around power lines. To those who work around them and know no other means of employment, it's fact they accept. Just like welders, like my husband, expect to die of lung disease before retirement age. Maybe I've just had two very realistic/pessimistic husbands.
    As for living next to corn fields: it's not just pesticides that cause problems; children growing up around all the fertilizer being sprayed/whatever do develope problems. Basically, anything in mass quantities artificially processed will be hazardess to a weakened or immature immune system. Or maybe that girl who had to be homeschooled because she developed allergies to most buildings from growing up next to a field was a one case thing.
    These things can be countered with herbs and alternative treatments if you want to put the time into it. Some are never affected at all.
    No one can answer but time. The question then becomes: Do you want to play the game?

9. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since I've done any research but I seem to remember that much of the concern about power lines/electromagnetic fields revolved around people who lived right under high-power lines.

As another poster asked - what is your definition of 'driving distance'. Heck, probably 90% of Americans are within a couple of hours of 'driving distance' to a power plant. (I'm pulling that figure out of thin air but you know what I mean :) )

Can't help you on the fertilizer/pesticide question since I know nothing about that.

10. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Stay in town........

11. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry just tell everyone on the list where it's at so someone else can buy it if you don't. I'm between 2 nuke plants and the power still goes out when the wind blows.

mikell

12. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you're going to be under or very near some high voltage power lines (the electromagnetic field is a real danger) you're safe from that angle. The higher the voltage, the larger the field. Since you said driving instead of walking distance, I would think you are also safe from that danger as well. Just my opinion, which carries about as much weight as a gnats wing.

Nomad

13. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana: My suggestion is that you call the local poison control center after you find out what pesticides and fertilizers may be used. Certainly if you are on well water these would be a bigger issue than a power plant more than a mile away. Also contact, via email, the center for disease control in the south east, they will have information on "clusters" of diseases in the area you are thinking of buying in.
    My personal opinion is " if in doubt, get out"

14. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Aren't we all playing the game every day of our lives?

My dad was a cable splicer for the phone company. He was exposed to creosote and electro magnetic fields (among other things) most of his adult life. He has beaten inoperable lymphoma and is now struggling to beat Stage 4 Colon Cancer which has spread to his lungs and liver. He's also had over 35 melanomas removed from his face and arms.

I have had precancerous colon polyps. My 21-year-old daughter has had precancerous uterine cells. My brother has had colon polyps. My husband has had a precancerous mole removed from his stomach. My maternal grandparents died of cancer - prostate and pancreatic. My paternal uncle died of brain cancer. SIGH...I could go on and on.

My point is that carcinogens are all around us - in the air we breath, the water we drink, the food we eat, etc. Of course we should be cautious and I commend you and your husband for considering the dangers that might lie in wait for your children. I would be more concerned about the fertilizers/pesticides as I have also read articles and remember they were concerned with people who live next to or under high voltage lines. Even your transformer to your house is a danger. But those pesticides and fertilizers...they can sneak up on you.

15. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A good lot of corn is round up ready and will be sprayed with Round Up to control weeds. Non GM corn uses more toxic chemicals. Its all part of living in the country. The fields shouldn't be sprayed on windy days, it loses the farmer money and will have to be done again, but those non RR corn crops need to be sprayed on time so it can get rushed. RR corn is at least better in that regard. I'll side with the posts that encourag you to look for a place you'll be most comfortable. A poor start makes for a poor finish.

16. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

As hhas been noted here some people are more likely to get cancer no matter what their exposed to.

mikell

17. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's a link that gives you answers about this question - notice on the right of the page you can actually locate the plants in your state and see how their powered:
    Clear the Air

18. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

What I found out was that there are actually 2 plants close by-one burns coal and the other is GE. We are looking into the cancer rate in the closest town. The coal plant is 10 minutes away and GE is a half hour away. The thing is, there are few places we can go that arent in the path of something. His job is good enough to stay put for a while, and its now a matter of whats bad and whats worse. Right now where we are, we are an hour and a half away from those same plants. The town where we live is nice enough, but the house is not big enough, and dh is itching for more space, fewer "helpfull neighbors". So moving is in our future. Its too bad, tho, I really like the house.