Strange noise at night.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OD, Sep 2, 2004.

1. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Several nights lately something has been making a noise that I have never heard before. It is usually around 3 AM & it's loud enough to wake me up. At first, I thought it was a bird, but now I'm starting to think it might be some kind of cat.
    It's kind of a warbling moan that starts out loud, then a few not so loud. It does this 3 or 4 times, then stops & I won't hear it again that night. It doesn't sound like a cougar---but maybe a bobcat? Any ideas? It's getting a little spookey.

2. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

Believe it or not porcupines make a terrible noise if provoked. It is kind of like a loud screachy moan. If you can imagine that :rolleyes: It is hard to explain. One night I heard it and couldn't figure it out. It would make a call then stop, then do it a gain a few minutes later. I couldn't sleep so I got up the nerve to go outside and look. Armed with my trusty spot light I went for a quick walk into the woods. It was an immature porcupine stuck up in the top of a sapling maple. :no: I had no idea how to get him down. So I just left him there. Eventually he stopped and when daylight came I went out there again and he was gone. :p

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

4. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Could be a grey fox

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

It wasn't any of the racoon noises, (although the cat thought they were interesting) & I've never heard of a porcupine being seen around here, but what you described is how this sounds. There are lots of foxes but I've never heard one do this before. I've been trying to find "fox noises" but haven't had any luck yet.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

6. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

My vote is that you have a local cat in heat. I heard that sound right outside my bedroom window in the middle of the night not too long about and damn near had a heart attack.

7. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe it's a screech owl.

Karen in NE Indiana

8. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

You got a boogey man infestation !!!!!!

9. OD

OD Well-Known Member

maybe...... :(

10. Cyngbaeld

11. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

12. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

what about a squirrel? I never thought they made any noise but chattering till we had some fall on the deck one night. woke me up and that is an accomplishment :rolleyes: it was the weirdest noise I ever heard. I thought it was a bird at first then when I woke up good I realized that it was no bird.

13. Cyngbaeld

Had an old hen once that would scream just like a panther. Scared me half to death more than once. Especially when she'd get right under my window and THEN let loose with it!

14. Re-shell

Re-shell Member

When I was younger, I had a cat, she was always outside, my sister, my mom and I were at home and we heard this god aweful noise outside, like a cat was dying or something. My mother told us that, that's how cats sound when they are mating. Hope you find out what it is.

Re-shell

15. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard cats in heat that made warbling moany sounds...among other strange and gosh-awful sounds.

16. Stand_Watie

Stand_Watie Well-Known Member

Coyotes make a wierd warbling screeching sort of yell and there are loads of them in northeast texas. Usually they go for quite some time though.

17. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

The neighbors here had been hearing weird sounds for weeks. We never heard anything out of the ordinary. They thought we had a cougar in the woods. They even organized a search party to sit up late one night and try to shoot the thing. That night, they learned that one of my peahens makes very weird sounds.

18. OD

OD Well-Known Member

19. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah but now that you know what it is, you can rest easy knowing that some small rodent will probably NOT make it into the house thanks to "your" screech owl.
    Tana Mc

20. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'm glad we have that figured out! Or do we? Noises in the night could be lots of things.