Strange growth

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cindyloo, Nov 13, 2004.

1. cindyloo

cindyloo Member

I have a rabbit who has a growth on the inside about halfway down her ear. It almost looks like a wart. It started as a small scratch/scab and has begun to grow, is now the size of the end of a pencil eraser. I can't seem to find anything in my rabbit books. Does anyone have an idea what this is and how to treat?

Thanks in advance

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Does she scratch at her ears? If so, it probably isn't "growing", she is just scratching, and it is building up a little pool of blood. If you see scratches in her ear, I would guess that she has earmites. A little bit of mineral oil in the ear (a few drops, and then rub around the base of the ear) will get rid of those buggers. I would do it at least once a day. Of course, you will have to hold it's head firm while you do it. But really, sounds like ear mites to me. No biggie...

3. cindyloo

cindyloo Member

Thank you. I think I have actually found out what it is. I think it is a Shope Fibroma. This is the site I found that shows a picture of what I was talking about http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-27256--,00.html. If you get a chance and can go to it it is very interesting. We have a lot of mosquitoes in our area and I feel that is the only way my doe could have come in contact with this. So if anyone has an inexpensive way of controlling mosquitoes, I am listening.

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter