Strange Green pods

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by giraffe_baby, Oct 22, 2005.

1. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

THis is our first fall in this home, we were taking a walk in the woods behind our home.. and came across these HUGE green pods ( at first glance we thought were moss or mold) picked one up and they are heavy and were falling off a tree ( 20 or so feet up) They are not black walnuts ( we have them too) So i took a photo, i hope you guys can help me identify it.

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Osage Orange - supposed to be very good at repelling pests.

3. giraffe_baby

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Roaches, spiders, crickets and things I think - not used them myself, I think they smell like horse poo! lol

5. giraffe_baby

ty ty mystery solved, and i found a website about them too! :)

6. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

growing up we called them monkey balls. the tree is very useful for a long burning firewood but is a little difficult to split.

7. starwalker

starwalker Well-Known Member

They use the wood to make swingle trees here. My husband calls it Bodock Apples. I know one thing. They are dangerous when the limbs fall. My husband got just about crusified by the thing. He had punctures all over his back. My neice also got her gym shoe pinned to her foot when she accidently slipped on a hill here. Went right thru her shoe. I don't know if they have any kind of poison or toxin on the tips but the puctures swelled and looked nasty for a day or two. :confused:

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Great fence posts from the wood, local farmer claims they are FAR better than locust posts. He is only 83, so I am not sure if he knows what he is talking about.

9. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

Arborethic seems to have covered most of it... a few items of interest.

Osage orange, (bois d'arc etc.) is one of the best woods in N. America for making hunting bows. The tree is named for the Osage indians. Though not originally all that common it was planted as hedges in the midwest, which has made it much more common.
    Many wood stove manufacturers warn not to use Osage orange in thier woodstoves as it burns so hot that it will damage the stove.
    This is one of my all time favorite trees...
    Oh yeah, you can really hurt your friends with those big things if you throw them hard enough..... not that I'd know, just that I've heard.

David