Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food and I never flinched when I ate Rocky Mountain oysters, turkey nuts, escargot, squid, calf's brains, etc. None of that gave me a moment's hesitation. But when I visited New Zealand for the first time, my sisters-in-law took me for an adventure all over the South Island. We were traveling along the west coast and in a small village, stopped for breakfast. White bait were running, and the sisters were ecstatic! I was in for the treat of a white bait sandwich!

When they told me what white bait were, I declined to order a sandwich for myself. But after endless razzing and provocation, I took a small bite. I guess it tasted ok, but I still shudder to remember all those little eyes looking at me through the batter...

A pic of white bait in its uncooked form:

A white bait sandwich, for those who haven't had the pleasure (this one is much prettier than the one I tasted):

Don't think I'd do another one.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i think they catch those in u.k. but goes by a different name.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I've eaten all sorts of weird things, lol. My brother was a career navy man and insisted we try all things popular in every country he ever visited or served in. But for some reason to me the weirdest thing was chocolate covered grasshoppers, lol. I don't know where they came from, but we had to try grasshoppers and ants.

The ants were actually pretty good, crispy, kind of like rice krispies covered in chocolate, but the grasshoppers, hock ptooey! Too "meaty" for lack of a better term, lol! :shudder:

I had to look up the white bait, says they're just immature fish. I don't think that would be so bad, but then what do I know?? :) I'd try them though, I'll try pretty much anything once. I know, just call me Mikey!

B

·
0 Posts
When I was a little girl, my mother used to be in love with "trying to cook"..the woman couldn't boil water...one day we sat down at table and there was some alien-looking plant on our plates..we were supposed to peel off the leaves and strain them via our front teeth...other kids got meatloaf..LOL..we got baked whole artichokes..furry, fuzzy.....it was the strangest thing I've ever eaten..:)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Can't say what the strangest is... Everything I eat is pretty mainline... Lesley is acrost the room laughing hysterically at this... Armadillo, crickets, grasshoppers, ****, kimchi... All pretty much standard...

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
I've tried escargot, shark, gator and calf fries. I liked them all and wouldn't hesitate to eat them again:). I also like oysters on the half shell, which makes me a weirdo to a lot of people lol

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I'll eat anything and like it :D I love cuttlefish, but the weirdest was probably that dish the Thais make with those big beatle abdomens. Good stuff it was too.
This kind of goes with the things you learned from your parents thread. From my mother I learned to be polite to ALL people, and it has payed me well.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The spawn sacks from Bluegill's. Love em but as a kid it was tough to trust grandpa enough to try em the first time! Once while cutting wood in the spring we ran out of drinking water. When i cut a large branch off a huge Silver Maple tree in order to balance the tree for felling, the tree began emitting a large drain/gush of very watery tree water from the fresh cut! We collected about a quart in 2 minutes and tasted it. Most excellent with a very slightly sweet taste, we drank our fill and continued cutting until the job was done, quenching our thirst with tree water!!! Much better than Gatorade!! LOLOL

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Have tried a lot of different things. Snake, grasshoppers, mt lion, beaver, even coyote. Wouldn't cross the road for a bait of them again! Some were tried when I was a kid. Just something different to try. Calf nuts, oysters, escargot, octopus, bear, frog legs, and alligator were all good though.

Keep threatening to buy a cheap horse or pony to butcher and try. I know it's favored in many areas. Actually, a horse should be awesome. They're one of the pickiest eaters there is, if given plenty to pick from. I've heard many stories from oldtimers about taking a meal at a place that had a horse or burro hide hanging over a fence.

I've ridden hundreds if not more... a lot of problem horses for people. I know a few would have tasted better than the ride they were!

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
I had to look up the white bait, says they're just immature fish. I don't think that would be so bad, but then what do I know?? :) I'd try them though, I'll try pretty much anything once. I know, just call me Mikey!
I know, yeah? Doesn't seem like it would be any big deal -- especially for a fish and seafood lover, which I am. But as you can see, they look a lot like... well, worms. And they have these beady little black eyes. And they watch you when you look at the sandwich.

It hinked me out. I admit, I struggle to eat food that looks at me. Especially when it reminds me of worms. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts